IP won't accept fuel....why?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I appreciate your help guys.

I'll keep searching for info on the screen.

Geez, Gandalf, that is quite a mess you've got there. I'll follow your posts on cleaning that up. My fuel filter had only about 20% of the crud yours does.

There's a CD on the DB2 pump on ebay. I'll check to see if anyone has found it useful.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I'm really curious if the pump does have to be spinning to allow fuel through.

I believe the transfer pump does work more like a pump than a blower, so it may flow an amount of fuel per rotation somewhat regardless of the speed.

I have the e-bay CD, it's worth the money and is interesting reading, but I'm not sure how much it will help you. You can't do much to those without having a good shop calibrate and put them back together. Let me look on my CD and see if there's anything on that.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Can you see this?

Guess, not, did a "print screen" and pasted the page to word but when I tried to attach it, "invalid file" was the response.

Anyway, it looks like you have to remove the end cap and then there is a plug and spring and a piston and a screen seal. All part of the transfer pump regulator.

It appears possible you may need a special tool.

The CD is not exactly specific to this pump and I've been told on another forum by a guy who rebuilds them that it does not have an oil viscosity compensator, so even with this CD it may be a little hit and miss.

I offered $12.00 and got shipped to my door for that.

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The problem is its been a few years since I did this on the motor no less and I can't remember step by step whats involved. But I can tell you no speacial tools are involved and there is an internal pump behind the inlet screen

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Got the screen off, it wasn't packed with crud, so I guess I have bigger problems with this pump.:mad:

Thanks to member ICANFIXALL for his instructions on the screen removal in another thread.:hail:hail:hail

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
The FSS and cold start solenoid are working fine.

I've rigged a bench test setup that has 12v to the solenoids, pump body grounded, the front shaft spinning up to 850 rpm, and fuel to the nose at various pressures. The throttle position is variable

I am spinning the pump shaft clockwise, from the perspective of sitting in the driver's seat, the pump mounted on the engine and the pump nose faces rearward. This direction is based on a video on the net that shows a DB2 being bench tested by a rebuild shop.

When I removed the nose cone, the end of the shaft had a pin in the location stamped "C". At 180 degrees was another location marked "CC". I am assuming these markings stand for clockwise and counterclockwise.

Despite tests at various rpms, throttle settings, and pressures, it still refuses to accept fuel.cookoocookoocookoocookoocookoo

I'm not quitting yet. Just need some other ideas to try.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I'm not sure which way the pumps spin but I seem to recall the Chevy DB2 pumps spinning the reverse direction as the Ford DB2.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Made some progress today. Let the pump sit in the ultrasonic bath for another two hours, dumping the fuel out every 30 minutes and refilling with fresh diesel.

Fuel looked pretty dark, and after sitting in a glass mason jar for several hours, a lot of fine crud settled to the bottom.

Tried my test rig again, this time spinning the pump counterclockwise, and

SURPRISE

SURPRISE

SURPRISE

the pump took fuel, filled quickly, and when I spun the shaft at 1000rpm, I got a heavy stream from the fuel return line and fuel spitting out the injector line fittings.:Thumbs Up I'm guessing the ultrasonic bath disintegrated the crud that was blocking an orifice or pin. I also noticed a definite improvement in the FSS linkage. At first it would barely move under spring pressure, After cleaning, it moved faster. After the ultrasonic, it snaps back with authority.

Next, I'm going to hang the pump on the engine and see if it will run. If not, I'll dissect it just to see if I can fix it as a spare, and put a rebuilt on the van.

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well, in the sake of science, I guess if it runs then we'll know whether spinning them the wrong way hurts them or not.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.