IP timing

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found for my unit like that I had to drop down to 2 business cards to get a stable signal. If your pump is off a tooth it’s going to cause you grief timing. If I recall from my timing, I was about 4 degrees advanced at idle compared to 2000 rpm. Just FYI. At one tooth out, you will probably have a difficult time getting timing set to the 8-9 ish degrees btdc. I don’t know who told you to Advance the pump but even on a cam swap that requires it, I don’t think you Advance the pump. You just advance the cam gear right guys?

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. I purchased an R&D cam, pump, and injectors. I have installed them in a fresh overhaul. No where is there any instruction sheets that come with the stage 1 cam. Do you offset the cam to crank? Or the pump to cam 1 gear tooth?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. I purchased an R&D cam, pump, and injectors. I have installed them in a fresh overhaul. No where is there any instruction sheets that come with the stage 1 cam. Do you offset the cam to crank? Or the pump to cam 1 gear tooth?
Call Justin, it’s his product.

IMO he should represent his product better and you really shouldn’t have to call :dunno

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Call Justin to confirm but I’m 99% sure you just Advance the cam 1 tooth. My assumption is the reason you do that is to make the intake valve close sooner so it doesn’t hit the piston. That is pure speculation on my part with his cam as I have no direct experience with it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call justin.

pump and cam gears are 106 teeth. This gives about 6 degrees of crank timing per tooth.

Usually it's only needed to advance the pump compared to the cam when the pump is pretty worn out - you can take a very retarded pump and get it workIng decently again with a tooth of advance(giving you more adjustment room).
A healthy pump shouldn't need it.

Now, if you run the cam 1 tooth advanced compared to the crank, the IP needs to be 1 tooth retarded compared to the cam to compensate.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
IIRC, he was going through a period awhile back where instructions weren't getting sent with the cams. Didn't order yours around tax return season, did you?

Last edited:

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually i did some digging and purchased cam in 2012 after tax season. It runs with no clatter but it really roles black smoke and has low power, slow to spool turbo.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh. Not to impressed checked timing several times, with deiiferent timing lights. Have timed anywhere from 8-10* and still no noticeable change in power or smoking. It has been a long project and still not on the road so I really didn't worry about it too much. Now that it is getting close to road ready starting to bother me on the black smoke and power issue. 75 f25o crew cab with a 94 f250 chassis and running gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Can't wait till all done. Been a long project pay as i go. Hate to add it all up, could have bought a brand new Ford by now. I emailed R&D hoping to get an answer on the gear timing.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Actually i did some digging and purchased cam in 2012 after tax season. It runs with no clatter but it really roles black smoke and has low power, slow to spool turbo.

That's his busiest time and right now is just him and one other. He put out a PSA on the IDI FB group.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeh. Not to impressed checked timing several times, with deiiferent timing lights. Have timed anywhere from 8-10* and still no noticeable change in power or smoking. It has been a long project and still not on the road so I really didn't worry about it too much. Now that it is getting close to road ready starting to bother me on the black smoke and power issue. 75 f25o crew cab with a 94 f250 chassis and running gear.

You must be registered for see images attach
That is ****.

The thing is the timing meter reads the pump timing relative to the crank. Are you sure you aren’t reading 8-10 after tdc? I don’t know what the display looks like on a rotunda but the Kent Moore’s have a minus sign show up for after tdc. Might explain the low power and smoke if it’s that far retarded. If the pump is off one tooth from the crank, you may not be able to get it back to before tdc. Just not enough adjustment I don’t think.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's his busiest time and right now is just him and one other. He put out a PSA on the IDI FB group.
I'll go out on a limb here and say many probably don't even have a Facebook. Lol
And those that do might not follow the Peter measuring contest groups......
What's my piece o junk worth?
My truck won't start, what's wrong?
I'm offended.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb here and say many probably don't even have a Facebook. Lol
And those that do might not follow the Peter measuring contest groups......
What's my piece o junk worth?
My truck won't start, what's wrong?
I'm offended.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Hahaha exactly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent