IP timing???

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok, here is one i need to figure out? as my truck has been down so long and i am about ready to put it back together, i may have truned the crank and thus it will be out of time? is there a way to set it right without removing the front covers? i think i saw it some where but can't remember?cookoo

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several ways. It depends on how far apart the thing is.

If the injection pump cover/gear were not removed, then nothing should have moved, and all you got to do is bolt the pump back on, and go.

If however you have removed heads and inj.pump cover and gear, then you need to re-align the injection pump. If the cam gear and crank gear were never moved, they will still be fine, and all you need is the injection pump gear timed.

To do it accurately, you need to find true Top Dead Center. This too can be done several ways. Probably the simplest way is to undoe the #1 glow plug about 1/2 turn. Then you rotate the crank by hand clockwise till you feel resistance and hear hissing coming from the #1 cylinder(compression stroke gasses leaking out). When the piston gets to the top of the cylinder, the hissing will stop, and the line on the harmonic dampener should be pointing to the "0" mark on the timing plate just down under the Alternator. It's really quite easy.

So, now that you have the thing at TDC, you can follow the rest of the instructions in the Timing article ...Poke here...

It sounds long winded, but once you do it, you'll see, it's really quite simple, and works every time.

Sure beats pulling the front cover off...

Good luck with it, and PM me if you have any difficulty, I can walk you through it....

Zigg :)

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If however you have removed heads and inj.pump cover and gear, then you need to re-align the injection pump. If the cam gear and crank gear were never moved, they will still be fine, and all you need is the injection pump gear timed.

Sure beats pulling the front cover off...

Good luck with it, and PM me if you have any difficulty, I can walk you through it....

Zigg :)

I have removed heads and inj.pump, So if i put the IP back then it should be ok? but i was trying to clean something and the crank was turned. So am i sunk? Thanks for the link that is what i was looking for...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't take the IP gear cover off, you should be OK. While I don't personally recommend doing that, I've been told that it should be impossible for the gear to jump a tooth. Be carefull with your valve train when you get it reassembled, and crank it slowly by hand to make sure there are no lifter issues.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you didn't take the IP gear cover off, you should be OK. While I don't personally recommend doing that, I've been told that it should be impossible for the gear to jump a tooth. Be carefull with your valve train when you get it reassembled, and crank it slowly by hand to make sure there are no lifter issues.

I don't understand that?cookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The service manual is very specific about having the crank at a certain spot any time you disassemble and reassemble. I found out why once, but I forgot. :(

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I remember seeing that too. I think it has something to do with or prevent the valves from getting bent? i'm just trying to make sure i don't have my timing out 180? like i did on a 4 banger one time!:puke:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online