IP Timing with the Ferret V765-01 & Fuel

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a Ferret V765-01 from "Tooldiscounter" ($179.01 - thanks RLDSL) and plan to use it with my Inductive Pickup Plain Jane timing light. While I had the engine apart I marked the Harmonic Balancer very lightly every 10* with a center punch. The Timing Cover has a reference 0* scribe mark at the shorter and larger of the two probe tubes. The arced tab that the two tubes mount to extends just over 1/2" in the "Advance" direction from the 0* scribe mark.
My question is, would this arced tab be conveniently terminated to correspond with 8.5* Advanced? If so I could just time the IP by aligning the Scribe mark on the HB with the lower edge of the arced tab at 2000 RPM.
Would anybody with a meter like to verify this assumption?

Switching gears, I loaded up my trailer with all the scrap metal I could muster including an IDI, block, 4 heads and and a crank. to get a total combined weight of weight of just over 15,000 lbs. and took the truck for a test drive over the Ship Channel bridge, the steepest "hill" I could find in this swampland. I did two pulls at the hottest time of day for comparison and recorded 1150*F in 5th gear just as I hit the "summit". My Probe is just a couple of inched from #8 exhaust port so I am assuming I'm in the ball park. I might need to turn the fuel down just a bit but I would like to set the timing first. One thing I learned in R&D is to not make more than one change at a time if you want to understand relationships.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump

Assumptions;
The HB turns Clockwise
The OD of the HB is 7"
and D x pi = circumference
and circumference / 360 = degrees of separation
then
7 x 3.14159 = 22" / 360 = .061" or .001" less than 1/16"
So if the end of the tab that secures the tubes and holds the index mark for TDC on the timing cover extends 1/2" beyond the 0* scribe mark on the tab in the counterclockwise direction that would indicate 8/16 or 8* before or in advance of the 0* scribe on the HB.
Right?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your calcs look good on paper, but you'll have to confirm for your truck when you get your timing tool. Be sure to post up a review of the product and results of having your truck timed properly. I too would like to get the timing adapter but I want to make sure it's a decent one.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hows this been working out for ya?
i keep putting off getting one of these,and i shouldn't.