IP questions.

KodiakForge

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an 88 7.3l zf-5 speed with a fuel/air leak from my automatic advance at bottom of pump. As funds allow I was thinking about swapping it out with a used one. I Found some at the salvage yard but the numbers came up for 6.9l some for automatic and one for manual. Based on the disassembly/reassembly manual model number id page they don’t exactly match what’s in my truck. Currently what’s in my truck is db2831 4632

What I’ve found at the yard are
Db2 4370 Manual trans
Db2 4541 Auto
Db2 4369 Auto

Curious if these would work on my truck and which one would you choose? As the numbers don’t lay out the same as in the manual.
I know a junk yard pump might not be the best place to source a pump but it’s whats in the budget right now. I Have a rebuild kit and was thinking I’d i could swap it out and rebuild the current one in that’s leaking.
I imagine the 6.9 & 7.3 pumps are interchangeable but this would be my first rebuild of this pump. Any info or tips would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one with the red badge. Any of those will work for your engine but that one looks like it’s been gone through recently

KodiakForge

Reaction score
Ok. And as far as automatic to manual applications that doesn’t matter so much? Or does it? The one with the red badge was an automatic as it had the variable vacuum switch though I grabbed it for my other truck before photo. Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pump is setup for a C6. Swap the hardware from your old pump and you’ll be set

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You won't have to switch anything since you have a manual transmission. You could if you want to though. Either way, will work. I've heard of people locally talk about putting a seal kit in their pumps. I always tell them that from my experience, when a seal starts leaking, there's usually enough wear on other parts that it's time for another pump. I don't know what your rebuild kit contains, but if you feel comfortable enough, then go for it.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the best looking pump you can find in a nicer looking truck for the best chance at scoring a decent pump. If it looks like it's been sitting it will likely have issues from old fuel.

KodiakForge

Reaction score
Alright. Thanks for the quick responses. I grabbed two of the nicest ones I could find. The kit I bought is just a complete seal kit o-rings, gaskets, bushings and some small hard parts (pins and clips) is there a more complete kit I could use? Going to tear one down just for education purposes and try the nicer looking one in my truck.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well rebuilding a pump your going to have to have it calibrated on a giant machine otherwise you'll never know what it's putting out and when. Could be barely any fuel or could have tons of fuel. Yes you can take it apart and put it back together with new seals and stuff but it has to be calibrated on a test stand to peform in any way.

KodiakForge

Reaction score
True, I’m aware of that. I figured I’d have Oregon Fuel Injection calibrate it. I’d be interested in knowing how much something like that costs, Haven’t called them to inquire yet but I’m about to get the ball rolling here soon.

KodiakForge

Reaction score
Hmmm well that’s an interesting point. I guess I can see the reasons behind that. Sounds like I have some things to figure out. Thanks.

KodiakForge

Reaction score
So it sounds like I may be taking the long way only to end up at the same place i would if I just buy a new pump?

KodiakForge

Reaction score
Well I found a place that will calibrate it for $150-250 including some inspection to make sure it doesn’t ruin testing equipment but if it ruins something the cost is on me I already have one disassembled at home (to learn basically) it wasn’t all that hard or complex but I’m curious though, what inside the pump could damage the equipment during testing? I ask only to further my understanding as all of this has been a learning experience. How risky would it be to have them Test a pump I did? How likely is it to have issues while testing I’m following the service manual step by step. Where is one likely to make a mistake or run into issues? Thanks for the enlightening responses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online