Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Reading thru the IDI TEC Articles & the Know Your IDI History
Saw the 6.9 IP info Injector Pump Stanadyne DB2 High altitude 1807568C91
Low altitude 1807560C91

and the 7.3 info Injector Pump Stanadyne DB2 High altitude 1809045C91
Low altitude 1809121C91

What #'s for later turbo'ed IDI???

One of my pumps is DB2831......4817. Then part# 1813102C92.....kinda curious what it originally fit???
Another is DB2829.....4817

I used to have a sheet (misplaced now) giving several IP #'s & applications for lo/hi altitude, yrs, etc.
IIRC EX: 4812, 4821, etc

According to my new IP Navistar Service Manual #CGES-475 The DB2829 pumps indicate older that had .290" plunger dia.
The DB2831 indicate later pump with .310" plunger dia.

Anyone know if the DB2831 pump is only one used thru turbo'ed IDI, but before PS engines?

Also in TecArticle I saw HP up thru 185HP.....that the highest by IHC specs?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They used DB2 up through the Powerstroke. OFI has the part #s for most/many DB2 pumps on their site. I saw somewhere that Deere and perhaps others use .033 plungers in DB2 and DB4 pumps. I wonder if those would work in our pumps?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Thanks JD. I'd forgot about their site. They got some of the info I'm looking for.

BTW, their core return policy:Cores with severe water damage or severe (acidic) damage from vegetable oil fuels....... hummmm.....:dunno

JD .330 plungers....I don't have any idea. I wouldn't know a plunger from a McDonald's Happy Meal:D

And I've been in some of those "CleanRooms" & stood right next to the genius that was taking apart, cking, & rebuilding, & testing my IPs & injectors.
I always figured that I must not look very bright, no risk of running off with their deep dark secrets, so they always let me in & watch.

Always was very interesting, but I didn't know 1 shiny gizmo from another.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part numbers don't mean much once you touch the fuel screw, or recalibrate it in any way. The part numbers really have more to do with calibration then anything. You can get a pump with a smaller plunger to flow as much as one with a bigger one if the calibration is in range.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Part numbers don't mean much once you touch the fuel screw, or recalibrate it in any way. The part numbers really have more to do with calibration then anything. You can get a pump with a smaller plunger to flow as much as one with a bigger one if the calibration is in range.
Very true! Somebody said recently, may been you, that these pumps can be hopped up to put way more fuel in these IDIs than they can consume.

I'm just trying to get my mind round some IP stuff. Got some junkers I gonna tear into just to have a look-see...winter projects.

Back in round '93 I had my IP & injectors rebuilt in Dallas. Left that night as they were locking doors. I immediately knew I was in trouble cause all I had to do was sorta "Goose it" & that rig started quivering, shaking, gnawing at the ground, pyro jump to 1250 in split second! Had to ride brake just to get on Interstate, & it's a 5 speed! haha
That place told me later that "Dave" the guy that did my IP, apparently "Had quit about 2 weeks before he told them..."
Sounded to me like he was PO'ed at'em & cost them tons of $$$$$, cause they gave me new extra IP & set of extra injectors & bunch other stuff. & I suspect they were just really glad I didn't fry mine during those 10 mo.

I drove it like that about 10 mo before I "fixed" it, but had to really watch gauges. Pulling big loads it'd scatt!
Funny thing, if I drove senseable, it'd get really good mileage. If I didn't, it'd get GPM instead!:D

Last edited:

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
It's easy to over fuel these engines. We went about half a turn on a 185hp high alt. N/A engine (Mine). Even under throttle in OD lugging it the most I ever hit was 1100* before I wussed out. When I was pulling a trailer the temps were only about 100* hotter & that smoothed out when I was cruising. It only smokes if I lug it or really get into it.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
It's easy to over fuel these engines. We went about half a turn on a 185hp high alt. N/A engine (Mine). Even under throttle in OD lugging it the most I ever hit was 1100* before I wussed out. When I was pulling a trailer the temps were only about 100* hotter & that smoothed out when I was cruising. It only smokes if I lug it or really get into it.
Yes,When the stars, moon, planets are right, 1/4 turn alone is a lot by itself.

On mine, with my nongated ATS & 5speed, when I'm working loaded heavy, it'll pull on out & climb at or above 2250. It'll smoke, but it's what I call "good smoke." Bad smoke is what I call that nasty lugging kind down below 2000rpm where it's smothering & not going anywhere....when I'm loaded really heavy.

I try not to run my pyro much above 1150, max 1200, real max 1250 for short times, then back out some. Like I said other day on another thread "duh, dummy me! I just realized my pyro is stuck in the inlet side of turbo housing, not outlet side like I thought all these years!":eek:

(straight truck,no trailer, & after coasting about 49' at 1100-1150 rpm in 5th is best point to tromp the fuel to get best "bang for your buck" when smokin joggers & bicyclers)
(oh me, there I go again....back to the corner with me)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online