IP, Head gaskets, water pump and t-stat, in frame, in Van....

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well wednesday I got my Rockauto package with my cylinder head gasket set, intake manifold, and a couple Motorcraft ZD1 plugs.

So this afternoon when I came back from work, I drove the van up in the driveway, and waited for it to cool down abit, and started rippin everything out of it.

I already have all the exceseries off the engine, fan, rad are out, the dog house is off, and the 2 front seats are also removed.

And while everything is off, I'm gonna go ahead and do the thermostat and water pump, since I noticed the water pump has a tiny bit of play in the shaft.

So i'm gonna do a write up with pics on doing head gaskets in a van since no one has seem to have done it in frame before. This will be my 2nd time at it.

Hopefully the weather holds up tomorrow so I can remove the heads, or at least start on 'em...

It is a very BIG job doing this in a van.

Also will be attempting my first IP job, been reading alot on it, and doesn't look half bad, so i'm gonna do it, and time it by ear after.

Updates to come!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please make it easy on yourself and take pics before and during the job. It saves most of the guess work trying to remember how something was or fits...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Absolutely right there, icanfixall. Since we're only putting in a day or two a week on mine, amazing what we forget in that time. Referred back to my pics 2 or 3 times.

Best of luck, John/Jon. Again, to those who dare an in-frame on an E: :hail:hail:hail

As this pic shows, I've definitely "taken a stand" on this issue. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, my buddy and I forgot to reinstall the oil dipstick tube before reinserting engine into the black hole. :frustrate:rotflmao

Oh, yeah, updates & pics PLEEZ.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I'm also updating the old 6.9 rockers to some 7.3 ones, forgot to mention that.

Might as well bullet proof this engine since I plan on having it for a long time to come!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice pic of an engine on a great stand. I have the same stand and if I recall its a 2000 lbs stand. Only thing I would change about it is the turning area. I greased that tube very well but its still very hard to rotatean idi engine. Towcat has the best factory Rotunda engine stand you will ever see. It has a hand operated gear box to turn the engine any which way you want. Its huge. The factory tells you to mount the engine by the side motor mount area. No thats a well built stand that can handle that stress... I fabricated two longer mounting arms on my stand so I could center the engine on it. Works great if you can find the center....

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Wow, I do not envy you with that job. I once managed to get my drivers side head off in the van, it was just BARLEY doable. The passenger head I don't think would have been possible. I don't think the bolts would come out, at least not without ALOT of wiggling around. You didn't mention you had new valve cover gaskets, did you just forget to mention those?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Nice pic of an engine on a great stand. I have the same stand and if I recall its a 2000 lbs stand. Only thing I would change about it is the turning area. I greased that tube very well but its still very hard to rotatean idi engine. Towcat has the best factory Rotunda engine stand you will ever see. It has a hand operated gear box to turn the engine any which way you want. Its huge. The factory tells you to mount the engine by the side motor mount area. No thats a well built stand that can handle that stress... I fabricated two longer mounting arms on my stand so I could center the engine on it. Works great if you can find the center....

Yep, icanfixall, this is the HFT 2,000 pounder. Wasn't about to save a few bucks putting that 900+ pounder on a 1,000 lb stand!

And, yeh, we weren't really expecting to rotate the engine, but I tried it anyway; no go. Maybe it woulda worked if the rotating tubes were lubed; just thought of that now.

yARIC008, it may interest the non-van guys to know that the engine is NOT centered side-to-side in the already off-center engine compartment! Probably 2" toward the passenger side, I think. Was reminded of this when I didn't put in the oil dipstick tube until after the engine went in!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please make it easy on yourself and take pics before and during the job. It saves most of the guess work trying to remember how something was or fits...

X2 on this one....it's one reason I do so many pics Gary...I have CRAFT disease...cant remember a friggen thing...so pics are my memory

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I bought the complete top end gasket set, so I have everything I need to do a head gasket job.

Now got a question, at the back of the valley pan, theres this thing. I poped it off with a ratchet end, and it just blew off, and no sure if that's suppose to pop off like that, or I broke it. Doesn't look broken.

Heres what i'm talking about.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
And heres other pics, this is what the van looks like when you gotta do serious work on it :D

Got everything off today except the exhaust manifolds and heads. Started raining hard ofcourse like every other time I try to do a big job outside.

And to my surprise, I did NOT have a single problem with any bolts! Everything came right out, even the 5 manifold bolts I already got out. Those I heated as a precaution, but still, everything went like a breeze, didn't even curse once :D

Got the IP off as well. And forgot to mark all the lines, so unless someone has a pic of what lines goes where, i'll have to find a diagram.

The inside of this engine, is extremely clean! When I got the valve covers off, they were nice and gray painted inside, no sludge, slime or nothing. Very clean engine.

And to get the passenger side valve cover off, the injectors had to be tooken out to slide it over from the top.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
that peice in the valley, it is broken. that threads into the hole, and holds down the valley pan, also acting as a drain.

i know with our 6.0 mini busses, removing motormounts helps ALOT.

if working on pass side head, remove driverside motormount and let it sit down. rocks away from the firewall.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Damn it! Can I use an Easy out and try and pull the guts out of that tube? If not, it is real important if it's not there? I mean no screwed in?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well I got the heads off tonight, both of 'em!

Damn I forgot how HEAVY those buggers are at the end of your arms, on your knees with your back under the steering wheel trying to lift these off!

I'll get pics tomorrow of the heads and cylinder bores.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
And the pics

Oh yes, to remove the heads in a van, both push rods for cylinder #3 (2nd one down from the front on passenger side), you cannot remove the push rods because the side wall of the firewall is to close, so you have to remove those along with the head, it's pretty interesting, but doable with 2 people.

And theres 1 head bolt also on that side that won't come out.

On the drivers side, only 1 push rod cannot come out.

So remember to mark witch one, and install them in the head before dropping the head back on the block!!!

Nothing looked wrong with the gaskets.

And no pics of the heads, they're already at the machine shop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online