Intermittent Wiper Repair

LunaTech

Reaction score
I did check the IDI tech file page and found the intermittent wiper repair thread but the link is dead (500 Internal Server Error). Does someone have this information and willing to give it to me. I don't believe in re inventing the wheel. Thanks for any and all information.

Jeff

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if it is the column mounted switch it is most likely the switch itself. had this happen on mine. the wires flex inside and eventaully break off of the back of the connector. you can take them apart and re-solder them if you are inclined to. i believe i have some pictures if i look around.

if it is the dash mounted switch i it is a differant ball game.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting the dead link. It will be attended to.

LunaTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should have given the info on my truck. It's a 1994 IDI factor turbo. It has the column mounted switch and I figured it was there somewhere. Strange thing is, when I first turn the switch to the first intermittent place, the wipers work once and that's it. They work fine on slow and fast. I just saw mention on the tech. post about something about the parking brake pedal causing some problem and was wondering what that is all about. Again, thanks for the quick reply. Guess when I'm feeling froggy I'll tear into the switch.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
When I had trouble with my 93, I finally fixed the problem by cleaning the column switch. Try popping the round end off where you push in the washer
button with a small screwdriver, watch how things come apart,then clean the contacts with some cleaner an some Q tips. The intermitant wiper switch was all greased up ,and not makin contact. once cleaned eveything works great.

SIKPUP:D

LunaTech

Reaction score
When I had trouble with my 93, I finally fixed the problem by cleaning the column switch. Try popping the round end off where you push in the washer
button with a small screwdriver, watch how things come apart,then clean the contacts with some cleaner an some Q tips. The intermitant wiper switch was all greased up ,and not makin contact. once cleaned eveything works great.

SIKPUP:D

Thanks for the input but I've already done that. Had to do the same for my F 150 but it didn't take care of my F 350. But you are right, it was gunked up with grease really bad and needed cleaning.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what mine did and all of a sudden they quit all together. My problem was the delay box behind the glove box. Exspensive part so if you can find a truck being parted out, you will be better off.

LunaTech

Reaction score
Thats what mine did and all of a sudden they quit all together. My problem was the delay box behind the glove box. Exspensive part so if you can find a truck being parted out, you will be better off.

Believe it or not, I swapped that unit out with the one on my 1994 F 150 before I sold it and it didn't fix the problem. I even changed the wiper motor (the old one operated really slow) and the intermittent problem didn't go away but the slow action did. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks for the input.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know what to to tell you then. My truck also had a circut breaker in the fuse box that supposed to reset itself when tripped. Maybe if your truck has one for the wipers its possible it has a bad connection causing a problem. I just pulled mine out and put a fuse in there. Other than that I replaced everything for my wipers before I changed that delay box. And of course it was the last thing I checked. At least everything is new now I guess. Good luck

LunaTech

Reaction score
I guess I'll do as Jred suggested, and take a look at the connector in the column. I just need a day I am feeling inclined (ie have time) to look at it. Thanks for the input everyone. Agnem, if you can find the tech. article or fix the link, I would appreciate it. Thanks all.