Intermittent Ticking Noise

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I got a question for you guys because I just can't figure this one out.
Ever since I have owned my truck, I have had this intermittent ticking sound that the engine makes when it is hot. It doesn't seem to be consistent with every revolution of the cylinders and it is not an injector knock(maybe a tick every couple seconds). I have noticed this sound doesn't seem to be evident when engine is cold either. Treatments of seafoam in filter and other mystery liquids have no effect on noise. I also do not notice any loping and/or miss that is common with bad valves or injectors. Also, I only hear noise when engine is idling. When the rpm's go up, noise goes away.

The truck has new pop tested injectors, 65k on rebuilt IP, new glowplugs, etc. I try and keep up with the maintenance on my rig.
So this is what I am curious about. Is this just a typical carbon buildup situation that is common with these idi's? Because when I pull hills and keep the foot to the floor for an extended period of time, the noise seems to go away for a week or two....then returns. I also maintain oil changes and am currently running my first treatment of Auto-RX, because I have the typical high volume of blowby and lots of oil in the intake...even with new cdr. So far, the RX has reduced consumption and blowby drastically.....just curious about this ticking noise. I am thinking there are a few stuck ring packs which is why I am doing treatments. Thanks in advance guys!

Ian

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 did the same since I bought it 2 yrs. ago. Last week it threw a rod through the oil pan. Related? I don't know. But I now own a junk engine. It may be worth the effort to drop the pan and take look.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 did the same since I bought it 2 yrs. ago. Last week it threw a rod through the oil pan. Related? I don't know. But I now own a junk engine. It may be worth the effort to drop the pan and take look.

That's a good point and a possibility. I have heard and seen the effects of rod knocks on gasser and a couple diesel engines, and my truck doesn't seem to be making a rod noise. It is not quite as loud and is more of a loud tick than a knock. I am not saying that is not what it is however. Guess it may be a good idea to drop the pan and make sure everything is alright. I am kind of stumped why it doesn't make the noise when cold though. This does sound like an internal engine noise and is affected with changes in oil viscosity.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Could be a sticky lifter...a heavy dose of auto-rx might free something up. The 7.3's were prone to a valve guide tick, not as common with the 6.9, but still possible

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have 3k on oil with auto-rx in it and noise is still there. Maybe it is a lifter I just don't know lol. Like stated before, if I am really ******* engine the ticking seems to go away for a brief period.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be irrational to think the ticking noise is a carbon buildup situation, due to oily blowby being re-directed into intake manifold?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not a carbon buildup. My feelings are is valve related. Could be a lifter. A rocker or a guide. Without hearing it the problem is difficult to say what it is. I really feel its not a rod about ready to window the block. A rod or main bearing makes a lot of noise.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a carbon buildup. My feelings are is valve related. Could be a lifter. A rocker or a guide. Without hearing it the problem is difficult to say what it is. I really feel its not a rod about ready to window the block. A rod or main bearing makes a lot of noise.

Thanks Gary. Well one of these days when I am ready to change out head gaskets like everyone else does, I will hopefully pinpoint and address issue when I inspect heads and take them to shop for rebuild. I don't think it is a rod knock either because it doesn't have that deep thumping sound that is typically associated with a lower end issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Gary, this sounds valve related and to me a weak hydraulic lifter that's not fully able to lift valve and thus creating the tick...maybe a worn rocker that's increased tollerances...

As mentioned without hearing it...hard to say....take a long extension hold it on valve cover edge where bolts are above each cyl....and hold to ear...listen for tick till you find the cyl with worst noise...then pop that valve cover and look...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if this is a lifter issue, what does that consist of when changing those out? I haven't heard of too many people having hydraulic lifter issues which is why I am curious

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To replace the lifters you need to remove the valve covers. Then the rockers but make sure you keep the rockers and pushrods in the same loation they came out. They have worn in that way and to mix them up when you reinstall them can cause issues. The pushrods have a top and bottom ball so make sure those remain properly stored when they come out. I just poke holes in a cardboard box and place them in thet with a name and number of the cylinder they came from. Now the intake manifold has to come off but before that the injection pump must be removed. Before you take off the pump make a center punch mark in the pump to housing joint. Then you wont have to time the truck. Now the intake valley pan comes off. There before you is all the lifters. They are held inplace by the spiker so remove the bolts and lift that out. See the lifter bog bones that keeps the lifters correctly riding in the lifter bores. Remove them and lift out the lifters. Look for a flat roller too. If you find one you probably wil need to replace the cam because that log probably has been dmaged but don't worry about that now. Its just some information to look for. Thats about the most of how to remove the lifters. I may have forgotten a step but ask when you start this job. Someone is online here no matter what time of day or nite it is with answers.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, Ian, I could have changed my lifters, as deep as I went. Valley pan comes off, and the IP before that. Rockers off, pushrods out. Yeah, best done when you do your HGs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pic shows the big bolt-on lifter retainer at the bottom of image.

Gary covered it while I typed this, but he's actually done this before!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff thanks Rich and Gary I appreciate it. I will need to dig into it one of these days but not anytime soon. I need to finish school first...which will be in May ;Sweet. While I am in there, I might just replace lifters and see what the condition of the rest of the valvetrain looks like and go from there.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary I got one more question for you lol. Are the hydralic lifters more prone to wear than the rocker arms and/or pushrods?? I am wondering what should just be replaced while in there for cheap insurance.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hyd lifters do require the oil to be kept clean more so then mechanical IMHO. And of course, many abusive idi owners change their oil every few years or never.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online