Intermittent starter problem

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the starter solenoid available separately? I'm thinking Raylan's is on the way out. A couple of weeks ago, I turn the key and nothing, but I've got plenty of juice, so I try jumping it with a screwdriver under the hood - nothing. So I go under the truck with my trusty screwdriver and jump it at the starter, just give it a quick hit to get it moving and then come back up top and jump it under the hood again and it fires right up. Today, I stop at a store, and when I come out same scenario. So I repeat the above procedure, but this time after hitting it at the starter, I use the key and it starts right up. I drive home, take care of some things and then go outside to run an errand and the same thing happened. So I'm thinking twice in a row, the solenoid is shot...

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours was “out” or not working you would be able to turn the key go under the hood and jump it at the solenoid on the passenger fender

Do you have a multimeter?
And a auto trans?

Might want to check voltage at the solenoid and starter when you turn the key before you start throwing parts at it

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've got a multimeter. It's an e4od. However, I just jumped it at the starter and the starter spins, but the solenoid doesn't engage. Imho, pretty good guess at the solenoid was on its way out and now it has gone ****-up

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I had this issue and when I bought the solenoid nothing changed , the unit that controls the neutral safety switch on the e40d trans was out of position and had to be repositioned for the truck to start (turbo piping clearance/rubbing)

Ended up replacing both of them 6 months later after they both started to fail

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is another reason I keep an extra starter on hand. Problem with one, replace it, keep going & check out removed starter later. All after testing other parts.
DB Electric has them for $50 apiece with free shipping. Keep one behind seat.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with OBS ignition switch configuration however if it's the same set-up as a brick, it could be that. If it's the same, switch is located on top of steering column (under dash).

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turned out to be both solenoids, the starter mounted one and the braided copper lead were quite green and crusty. The fender mounted one gave it up when I was jumping it...
As always thanks to all for the help!