intake heat

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one of these from work today and tested it out. After 20 seconds, it was over 1000 degrees F". It was wired into the GP solinoid. Gonna try to rig it up on my 92 7.3 this weekend.

I have plans to do this also, but you may want to setup a different solenoid activated by the sharing the GP signal. The solenoid might not be rated for that extra current pull.

I really wouldn't do this if you still use the stock GP controller, if it sticks on that kind of heat can't be good for long periods. At a minimum the wiring insulation would melt from the resistance.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to isolate this from the glowplug system. Maybe not even have the glowplugs at all. There was talk of removing them and pluging the holes to help lower the compression of the engine.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was going to isolate this from the glowplug system. Maybe not even have the glowplugs at all. There was talk of removing them and pluging the holes to help lower the compression of the engine.

is there any way you can come up with another one of them intake heaters, thats good, i will buy one from you

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
this idea ever get off the ground? im wanting something similar on mine and cant find any threads that this idea has been tested??

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definately like to see if this would be a viable starting aid for an idi but I agree with Mel it needs to be closer to the cylinders than we can probably get it. The intake heater on a 7.3psd is designed to reduce the amount of white smoke emitted after a cold start or during extended idle in cold temps. the heater isn't activated by the pcm in the vehicle until after engine start up

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I tryed using one from a 7.3 psd, i never actually got my engine to fire from it,

But you can take a hair dryer hold it in the intake for 20-30 seconds or so and the engine will pop off on that alone at around 30-40 degrees or so, never tryed it any colder

sieg01

Reaction score
I'm bringing this up again.

Does anyone actually use an air intake heater (AIH) on an 7.3idi non turbo?
Which one did you mount?
And where did you install it?

And in case you have an 92+ Econoline - I would be especially interested... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online