Installing junior moose pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
I've got another question. I've been running a little mr Gasket pump in the engine bay along with the mech. Lift pump. I have no clue how many km the mech pump has on it. Mr Gasket is hooked up to the fuel shut off on the top of the pump, no switch. Bought the elec. pump for priming the engine becuase I was having starting issues (it was the IP) now that I've installed the Moose pump, I wan't it to have maximum fuel capabilities. I'll probably pick up a dura lift in the future but can I run the mech. and elec together. I don't want to just run the mech pump and starve the Moose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The stock mechanical lift pump on these engines will work fine with the moose pump. But running both mechanical and electric will cause issues. If the electric is installed before the mechanical it will rupture the diaphram in the mechaincal and diesel fuel will enter the oil pan diluting the oil and ruining the bearing in the engine. If it installed after the mechanical its going to be forcing fuel into the injection pump but I don't feel it will cause issues. It may cause a problem if the machanical lift pump discharge cleck valve fails. In simple terms is best not to run both types of pumps. There is no need for it. The electric pump genlightning sells us is a great pump capable of doing everything these engines fuel requirements are..

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well im sending my ats turbo out to russ and Geting a moose pump for my idi. I'm hopeing this well help the old girl out the tranny was rebuilt with shift kit and a great torque converter. So I'm hope or see a gain in power and pulling

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How and where do we tee in to install fuel pressure gauge? Sounds like a very useful gauge to have and cheap insurance!

gandalf

Reaction score
How and where do we tee in to install fuel pressure gauge? ...

We covered this not too long ago. I went back 10 pages, so maybe it's been longer than I thought.

I put my fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter housing. It's a cheap and quick job, and needs to be altered. The location is good, but the gauge is cheap, and needs to be moved into the cab.

I'll attach a picture, again. This is on a '92 truck. I understand that some earlier trucks did not have this capability. They lacked the necessary ports.

You must be registered for see images attach

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Got the intake on today and took the truck for a little burn. It feels like a new truck. Pulls so much better through every gear and acceleration isn't even comparable to my old pump. Pretty smokey as well. Noticed a small fuel leak when I parked it. Nothing got cross threaded but there was a bad grommet on the main fuel line from filter to pump so hopefully it's that. Will take a better look tomorrow.
Really impressed with it! Would reccomend moose products to anybody in need of a new IP or just looking for more get up and go

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
The leak was coming from cylinder 7 fitting on the pump. Took me a few hours to tighten it up after taking the intake and other fittings off. I then found a leak at injector 1 return line. Replaced the Orings on the injector and threw a new cap on, good to go. Everything else looks dry so far (knock on wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online