Installing junior moose pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading threads on Obs for a while now and decided to get an
account. Recently I was having hard hot start issues and good cold starts. After doing some research and tinkering around, I came to the conclusion that my injector pump was toast. After reading lots about the Moose pumps, I figured it was a good way to go and ordered a moose junior. Last week I removed the old IP and injectors ( replacing them with new BB codes) the removal of the pump was fairly straight foward. I do have a few questions though. When I receive the Moose pump, what precautions do I have to take to properly install it. I've read several installations talking about making sure its at top dead center. How will i be sure the pump is in properly? Also, on the pump, where does the number 1 injector go as in where the injector line hooks up to the injector pump. I know the firing order but unsure where #1 goes. Is timing something I should get mechanic to do? Obviously I'm quite new to the scene but very interested, these engines are so reliable and just nice to drive. Thanks to all who help!
P.s Is anyone running Moose pumps with the stock lift pump or is an electric pump recommended?

Max

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a dowel in the timing gear so it can only be installed one way, you don't have to have it at tdc. Call around and try to find someone that is familiar with these engines. Most shops will claim they can time it but all they do is time it by ear. Ask them how they plan to time it and if they don't tell you they are using a meter move on to the next shop.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi forum anywhere. The above posting is very true. there is only one way the pump can mesh with the injection pump gear. Now if you removed the injection pump with the aluminum gear tower ans gear still attached as one piece you have troubles ahead. But it sounds like you did not remove it that way so moving on to the next questions. Timing is a big part of making the new injecters and pump work to their fullest. Finding a person to time it properly is even harder. You can run the engine without timing it with a meter but its tuff knowing if its good enough. When you get to that place in this work we can guide you more. Also knowing what state and city you live in will help too. Might be someone near you that can help with timing..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When removing/changing the IP never take it off by removing the gear tower with the IP attached. First thing is to remove all the steel lines to the injectors, mark each line, remove the small cover on the front of the gear tower, there is three bolts that holds the gear to the IP, takes a 12 point 5/16" socket to remove them, now remove the 3 nuts holding the IP to the tower, now pry the IP out, doing it this way the IP drive gear will stay in time. Makes no difference where the engine is stopped, as the dowel slot will keep the IP in time when replacing it.

Attachments

• DVC01380.JPG
    DVC01380.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DVC01378.JPG
    DVC01378.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DVC01381.JPG
    DVC01381.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 61

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max Welcome to OB,

Sounds to me you have a good grasp of what's needed to keep these jewels running, great stuff.

All of us are unclear as to how you removed the IP and cannot really comment on what to do until you clarify that.

Please let us know what you have done so we can better help you.

As you have mentioned your new here please look at the FAQ's the TECH section and the HALL OF SHAME,if you have not already done so as there is plenty of info in there that can be helpful.

Also please fill your signature in, just go near top of page to blue line below SEARCH, choose My Profile, then on the left of screen you will see a list, find Edit Signature, choose that then put in yer info. This helps us and lets us know you more. Don't forget to SAVE.

Again welcome to OB

Al

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
I have removed the IP without removing the gear tower. It sounds like I shouldn't have any problems now other than timing. I expect the moose pump will have the proper marking to mesh in with the gear tower? I guess that's an obvious answer. With this new IP, will I need an electric pump rather than the stock lift pump? I dont want the performance of the moose pump hindered by the stock lift pump.
I'm located in BC , Canada.

On a side note, will an upgraded turbo such as Banks sidewinder or Hypermax really make the truck come alive as I'll have plenty of fuel now? I'm debating getting a boost guage to see what the stock turbo is producing. I hear a slight whistle at 1500rpm, only with the window down. Stock downpipe to 3inch straight pipe to side exit. If I get a new turbo are studs recommended?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks again!
Max

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for updateing where you are. The moose pump has its own timing set internally. Nothing you can do to make it "match up" to the marks. They are just a guess at where the timing might work well. Only the factory setting with the pump from the factory is timed by the marks.. Nothing after that means anything.. Sad story too about timing thes engines..

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Where abouts in BC are you I'm i Cawston and heading to Lower mainland this weekend.

Squamish , about 45 minutes north of Vancouver. I'm not sure when the pump and injectors are going to show up, I'm hoping by this weekend but we'll see! Playing with fuel delivery is a no go with these pumps correct? What about the "torque screw" ?
Thank you OLDBULL8 for those pictures, very clear.
Max

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Do not touch anything till it is on the truck and you have ran it. U will be surprised. No need to adjust anything other than timing.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Do not touch anything till it is on the truck and you have ran it. U will be surprised. No need to adjust anything other than timing.

Didnt mean to double post. I wasn't planning on fiddling with it before installing it. I just have lots of questions that I'd rather not post in anothers forum. Appreciate the help. I'll ask around town for a timing meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faust

Members online