Installing a Turbo? Read This!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, I recently installed a turbo kit on my truck and months before I bought it I asked if I should get high performance head gaskets and studs... I was told no by many people and that it would be a waste of time and money. Well I am here to tell everyone that it is not a waste of time and money... My engine has 102,000 miles on it and no more than 500 miles after a turbo install and no more than 5 - 6 PSI of boost, I have a head gasket failure.... Some people have better luck, I didn't.... Now I have to tear the engine apart. I just want to share this so that someone else doesn't get the wrong advice. If you want a turbo, REPLACE you head gaskets and studs with high performance ones. I have a build thread, once I find some I will share the link....

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have several thousand miles on my install and no problems. I have seen 13 psi or so of boost. This is on an engine with 240k+ miles.

Just sayin...........Just because it happened to you doesn't mean everyone will have the same results. Of course, I agree that it is a good idea to stud it, if you want ultimate longevity. But not required. Why did those who told you it would work say that? Likely because they had done it. As have I.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks.... I dunno what to do right now.... I feel like if I want a F***ing turbo I need to rebuild the entire engine to handle it.... I dont even know for sure if it's the head gaskets or the block being cracked with how retarded thin the walls are..... I am almost wanting to sell this POS and get a 7.3L Powerstroke (99 to 03).... Atleast then I would know that 10 PSI of boost won't destroy the engine....

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atleast then I would know that 10 PSI of boost won't destroy the engine....

Nope sure won't.......But a Camshaft position sensor goes out and you're beside the road....oh so now it's injectors? Well you'll spend on one injector what a whole set for your IDI would cost......

Hey as long as it's a Ford that's all I care LOL LOL

What happened to your enthused "400/800 IDI" build? LOL

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This s**t is just messin me up right now..... I spent all that time and money on this beautiful truck and I can't even drive the damn thing.... I dunno what to do..... I feel like if I take the time and money to do the gaskets and studs a piston or cylinder will crack a week later.... I am about to pull the engine and rebuild the f***er with parts that can handle so EXTREMELY low boost, this is BS dude.... I don't freakin get it..... It's either rebuild the engine or sell it and get a new truck..... Could prolly rebuild it with really nice parts and sleeves for about 4 to 5 grand.... and the 400/800 build is out the window!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buck up lill camper! if all of our projects went according to plan all of the time, it wouldnt be any fun!
i would say that you had issues, that you didnt know about before the turbo install, and is now coming to light.
YOU YOURSELF, KNEW IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO DO HEADGASKETS AND STUDS! or you wouldnt have asked.
all engines are a gamble. especially putting a turbo on a non turbo engine.
many have done it with positive and negative results.
did you time it after the turbo instal?
with owning a PSD i can tell you first hand that while they may last with boost(as long as its not a 6.0)
many many other problems can and will arise. and with PSD injectors being the same price you can get a complete bull moose and mister injectors w/ turbo.
YOU WILL BE SPENDING SOME COIN!
you are in what i refer to the "divorce" state. you're so frustrated at all the time and money you spent, that you just want to dump that woman!
guess what, theres no garentees that the new one will be any better.
calm down, grab a bottle of jack, and pull the engine. break her down, check her out, and train her to be a good woman.
or go to the dark side and buy a prius:D

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I wanna pull the engine but what do I do about the block? I want this to last me 300,000 miles.... I don't drive like a jask@$$ either. The block is thin, I get it... I looked into putting liners in it but that is risky to.... I am lost at the moment.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, a couple of years ago, i built a 55 chevy for a buddy.
i built him a 383 small block. 1 piece rear main, 460 hp blueprinted engine.
T56 magnum. this guy had over 12g's in the engine and transmission.
he ran it for about 6 months, and another one of his friends talked him into a procharger.
him and his friend did the install.
we had spent almost a grand on the carb to support the 460 N/A set-up
well, he fired it off, ran it at idle, and called me in a panic.
"WHY ARE MY HEADERS GLOWING??!??!!"
"YOU DIDNT DEGREE MY CAM RIGHT!!!"
as an honest type of guy, i went over there, saw that big ass F-4 procharger and laughed at him.
i explained how a candle melts when you light it...
YEA DUMBa@@ THATS WHAT YOUR PISTONS LOOK LIKE NOW LOL

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, these trucks can be frustrating at times. But in a way, that is the fun of it all. So your head gaskets let loose. Life could honestly be much worse. It is an obstacle that can be fixed quite easily. I recently did my head gaskets and wow, what an easy and fun job it was. I just took my time, made sure my workplace was clean, labeled every nut and bolt and put them in zip lock bags, took lots of pictures, and only had a beer when I was done working on truck for the day to help prevent accidents from happening lol. I did entire job by myself and borrowed a cherry picker to remove/place heads back on deck. If you have basic mechanical skills, tackle the job and take your time. Bringing heads into shop for inspection is a great idea. Installing new lifters, slapping on a Moose IP, and getting yourself a shiny new ARP head stud kit isn't a bad idea while it's apart. If you are going to tackle job, just make sure everything is clean and tools are organized during job and you will be fine ;Sweet. And since you are no longer thinking about your 400hp/800ft lb build.... you can now put those funds towards your head gasket job without sacrificing reliability. This is a win win.
Buying a 7.3 psd will certainly make more power but may not get rid of problems all together. And if something does go wrong, you can expect to pay about double than what you are used to.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only way to know forsure is to pull the heads.
if you're worried about the cavitation, inspect all cylinder walls carefully.
the only way to know forsure if the cylinder walls are good is to have it sonic tested.
and to do that, you must pull the rotating assembly.
if i were you, i would pull the heads, replace headgaskets, and studs.
check heads, and slap it back together.
or just go balls to the walls and start your 400/800 engine.

you started this house on a CMU foundation,then moved it into tornado country.
next time, build a foundation!
sorry for the cheezie analogys, but i feel your pain, we have all been there.
theres only one way to learn, and thats by F****** up!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block is thin, I get it... I looked into putting liners in it but that is risky to.....
How is sleeving the block risky?

Personally, I would take the 7.3L block and sleeve it so you can use 6.9L pistons. This way, you get the thicker walls of a 6.9L, with the larger head bolt/stud setup that a 7.3L has. If you're really that uncomfortable with sleeving the 7.3L block but don't want the thin cylinder walls, get a 6.9L block.

As the others have said, any engine's going to have its share of problems. The IDI has inherent problems, yes...but, so does the 7.3L PSD. If you really want something that's "never" going to give any trouble, and if you can afford it, buy a new truck and be prepared to replace it every few years. Even brand-new off-the-lot trucks won't be 100% problem-free, but the chances of having any problems will be minimized, and you can have it taken care of under warranty.

I'm not trying to be facetious or condescending; I simply mean that a new vehicle with very low miles is the least likely vehicle to have any trouble.

As for the moment...it sounds like you're really frustrated. I don't blame you; I've been in that boat myself a number of times. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is step back, take a few deep breaths, and concentrate on something else for a little while and come back to the truck once you've had a chance to calm down. Don't make any long-term decisions while you're upset!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. Here's the thing. If you own a 6.9, and it still has the stock head bolts and gaskets, WHEN you replace your head gaskets is the question. Not IF. This has been proven by 17 years of observation in these forums, and gathering what today we call conventional wisdom. It has nothing to do with adding a turbo or getting more power out of the motor. It will almost assuredly happen. A 7.3 on the other hand, has the bigger head bolts. Experience has shown that gasket failures in 7.3's are much less of a problem. That's not to say it won't happen, but many here have pushed their motors and some have had to do gaskets, and some haven't. Your one of the unlucky ones. It has nothing to do with the quality of your motor or the life it has lived. Stuff does just happen. The good news is, 18 hours of your time and a few hundred bucks, and you can be back down the road running for decades with the turbo and no additional problems. Did it happen at an opportune time? No. Does it ever? No. So stop cussin', and look at it as needed maintenance who
s time has come.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, pull that engine, drive over pick up my 6.9.

Run it NA while you build your monster.

This project is stalemated until i figure out a handful of things.

83849 for a zip code to google.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I am setting up my 7x16 Interstate Enclosed trailer to become my shop for a few months or how ever long it takes, money isn't an issue, it's time that is the enemy.... I am going to pull the engine because I need to know the condition of my block... It was ran 100,000 miles with a C6 and conventional coolant so.... Before I dump anymore money into this thing I need to know the condition of the block. I should hopefully have the engine broken down by Sunday night, gonna pull the engine on Saturday and start dis-assembly. I was extremely frustrated and was all bark, no bite because I used most of my time on leave to install the turbo thinking it would be a awesome addition to my truck and now I'm not on leave anymore, it was the best 500 miles I have ever driven in the truck and I ain't gonna give that up. I will be posting the progress on my build thread. Thanks guys.