Installing a/c

Codyp86

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m going to be installing an a/c system in my 93 7.3 idi. I have all of the components from a later model donor truck with a power stroke. Would there be any differences in placement of the parts from the later model to the earlier model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming this powerstroke is also an OBS truck (1992-1998), the firewall stuff should work. The engine mounted stuff will be different, but the compressor itself might be the same. So you may have to source brackets. Not sure about hoses, but those are relatively cheap from rockauto. In fact, you might be surprise how cheap everything is, other than the compressor.

I've heard the rad supports are different on non-AC powered trucks, so the condenser core may not fit.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 85 was non AC and I put an under dash ac system in it with a factory condenser and it worked on mine, but it was a bullnose factory swap not sure what happened after the bullnoses.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got the complete system from your donor vehicle, including the lines and and wiring and such, and it's going into the same generation truck it will fit with no troubles execpt possibly the hood latch support as noted above and the compressor clutch is a different rib count for the belt. When ford changed to R-134 in '93-'94 the condenser got bigger and so the offset in the hood latch support had to change to accomodate it. You can stuff the larger core in with the earlier support but it will rub the condenser unless you bend the condenser toward the radiator a bit. You'll also likely have to run all your own wiring but I'm not sure if there was a different harnesses that came with the a/c stuff included.

Codyp86

Reaction score
If you've got the complete system from your donor vehicle, including the lines and and wiring and such, and it's going into the same generation truck it will fit with no troubles execpt possibly the hood latch support as noted above and the compressor clutch is a different rib count for the belt.
That’s the weird thing. The truck came from Alaska with only the heat option but it has a compressor with plugs in it from the factory.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a compressor with plugs in it .

That's got to be worth a pic or two, I've seen the idler pulleys on non a/c trucks but never an unconnected compressor. I wonder if the bearings in the idler went out and the easiest option to fix it in AK was bolt a compressor on?

Codyp86

Reaction score
That's got to be worth a pic or two, I've seen the idler pulleys on non a/c trucks but never an unconnected compressor. I wonder if the bearings in the idler went out and the easiest option to fix it in AK was bolt a compressor on?
I’ll post some pics tomorrow, I’m not sure but from what I know from the previous owner, when he got it in the early 2000’s it only had about 65000 original miles on it. And he didn’t mention anything about having to replace anything, except the transmission. Now it has 165000 on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726