install tip for new style injector cap return o-rings.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As with any step forward, there's always some new challenges. Let's take yet another look at the 6.9/7.3 most famous Achilles heel...the injector return line cap and o-rings system. With the lack of "lubricity" from the older fuels, the o-rings and return caps have been a problem point where any servicing under the hood that brings you to "accicentally" contact the return line and cap system, would result in the return lines to start to leak. At worst, you'd have fuel leaking all over. If you have been buying the return line kits or injectors from "Typ4" a newer synthetic rubber o-rings was added to the kit. The upside is the newer o-rings didn't degrade as quickly compared to the older ones. But the newer o-rings have their own issues too. The material is a much less pliable "rubber" and didn't stretch as easily. Also, the o-rings was very sensitive to getting nicked from the sharp edges of the injector threads. It took a while, like five or six trucks to where I figured out a system that works simply and consistently with the newer o-rings. a two inch long segment of PVC hose with a diameter wide enough to go over the injector threads and the other end of the tube is slit so the hose can take up the orings and expand them to easily get installed over the main body of the injector. Here's a quick tip....when using the hose, resist the urge to stack o-rings on the PVC hose. Left stretched on the hose, the o-rings will take a set and will not return to original sizing. pics are worth a 1000 words, so here they are.......
Lastly, i spray the o-rings with a silicone lubricant so the plastic caps easily snaps over them without much fight.
that is all...

Attachments

• P1050206.JPG
    P1050206.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 49
  • P1050209.JPG
    P1050209.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P1050207.JPG
    P1050207.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1050208.JPG
    P1050208.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 49

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Great idea! I used Russ' kit as well. I just lubbed the living crap out of the entire top of each injector and each o-ring and went slow, only using finger strength :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great idea Calvin. I also use an exacto knife to cut away the plastic cap flash from the casting dies. This extra plastic is the sharp edge where the o ring first touches the cap when we install them. Also a large drill bit or a center counter bore bit will relieve this sharp edge too. Once you "feel" this edge you will never attempt installing caps again without cutting it off.
Didn't someone a few years ago use something like this new hose idea to install the o rings? I recall something mentioned but CRS gor me again. Funny how I can recall I forgot something but can't remember what I forgot...:rolleyes::dunno

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome tip Towcat! I see you said to use a silicone lubricant. I've always used Vasoline as recommended per Mel. Are either accetpable or is the silicone lubricant a better way?

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome tip Towcat! I see you said to use a silicone lubricant. I've always used Vasoline as recommended per Mel. Are either accetpable or is the silicone lubricant a better way?

Thanks
i started using the silicone due to a lesser possibility of the stuff reacting with the o-ring. until someone comes up with proof that petroleum jelly is bad, I'd say go ahead and use it too.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart idea. I'm gonna use this from now on. No picks, no sore a$$ fingers. I'm in. Thanks Towcat.;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The other was using a Zicam bottle cap. But I can't find the info on it.
This looks better anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great tip! I also recommend ordering your self a bag of Viton o-rings from mcmaster carr. The return line kit is great but if you have to disturb the return lines at any time it is nice to know that you have a large, cheap collection of replacement o-rings. Size is #111.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9464K24

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boss 820 oring lubricant is about the best there is. I use it on all orings fuel, oil cooler, direct chemical contact for work. It's silicon based and good to 400f

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea Calvin. I also use an exacto knife to cut away the plastic cap flash from the casting dies. This extra plastic is the sharp edge where the o ring first touches the cap when we install them. Also a large drill bit or a center counter bore bit will relieve this sharp edge too. Once you "feel" this edge you will never attempt installing caps again without cutting it off.
Didn't someone a few years ago use something like this new hose idea to install the o rings? I recall something mentioned but CRS gor me again. Funny how I can recall I forgot something but can't remember what I forgot...:rolleyes::dunno
gary- the last time I posted about using a helper tool was the throttle cable "*****" that was used to feed the OEM throttle cable through the firewall and was then discarded. the green "*****" tip was the right size to slip over the injector threads. Only problem was the attrition rate. people "borrowed" them and didn't return them. so......I've been on the hunt for something that was easier to replace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online