%%$^$##@ Injectors came apart while removing!

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about frustrating as hell!
I'm in the process of replacing my return lines, and after successfully removing the driver's side bank of injectors with no issue, 2 of the passenger side injectors are stuck in the engine.. only the upper halves came out! -cuss-cuss-cuss

I was able to successfully pull out the lower assembly of one already.. but the other one is REALLY stuck in there..
Does anybody have any suggestions on removing the lower half? theres alot of carbon buildup and ive been trying to scrape it all away.. but what else can I do to help free the lower half?i I've soaked it in PB blaster and wrapped up for today..

Also, since both these injectors crapped out, I need two more BB code injectors.. does anybody have any spares laying around? :D

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about frustrating as hell!
I'm in the process of replacing my return lines, and after successfully removing the driver's side bank of injectors with no issue, 2 of the passenger side injectors are stuck in the engine.. only the upper halves came out! -cuss-cuss-cuss

I was able to successfully pull out the lower assembly of one already.. but the other one is REALLY stuck in there..
Does anybody have any suggestions on removing the lower half? theres alot of carbon buildup and ive been trying to scrape it all away.. but what else can I do to help free the lower half?i I've soaked it in PB blaster and wrapped up for today..

Also, since both these injectors crapped out, I need two more BB code injectors.. does anybody have any spares laying around? :D

Simply grind off the big threads on the injector body. Then screw it back together into the nozzle cap in the engine until it turns the whole body and comes out. You can also at this point use a slide hammer to extract it. Replace injectors with new ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm ok. I'll have to get grinding away and try it out.
This truck has been nothing but a nightmare for me.. the return lines are easy enough to remove, but these injectors are ridiculous!

Now to find two replacement injectors..

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to replace the copper shims.. what a mistake that turned out to be!

Next question is: how bad is it if you mix and match injectors? Since I'll need 2 new ones I doubt Ill be able to find two more BB code injectors..
I have a chance to pick up some G codes.. will it really make a big difference? its an 89 n/a 5spd 7.3 idi

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Next question is: how bad is it if you mix and match injectors? Since I'll need 2 new ones I doubt Ill be able to find two more BB code injectors..
I have a chance to pick up some G codes.. will it really make a big difference? its an 89 n/a 5spd 7.3 idi

Injectors always should be pop tested and installed as sets of 8. If your old ones are popping at 1800 and new ones at 2400 your going to feel it in idle and can't properly time the engine for best performance and effeciency.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a very good point...
pensacola diesel sells a set of reman'ed injectors for 108$... would those be decent to use?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally that's what I'm running. Their injectors and IP with no problems or concerns for over a year now, maybe longer. There has been one or two with probs but Pensacola made good on it sending replacements out immediately.
There's always a chance on anything you do!

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I can only hope my luck doesnt fail me and I get a working set. If not I'll have to yank them!
They sell a Brand new set for 185.. it seems theres alot of debate on whether or not to get new or reman'd injectors..
Either way they won't be as difficult to remove the second time. I spent 5 hours out there man-handling those injectors today LOL

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
500 on backorder

Pensacola Fuel Injection has 500 or more BB Delphi new injectors
on backorder right now - those babies have been paid for
and are waiting to ship ....

I tried to order a set (2) weeks ago ....

Unless you luck out - there are no new Delphi BB code injectors
available - even here in Ohio ;Really

Personally, I have bought (2) complete sets of new Delphi BB injectors
and an IDI pump from them in the past 3 years with no problems ....

Jim

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I thought poop hit the fan when one of my injectors un-threaded... With the slide hammer trick it was out in no time thanks to the advise of some of the senior members here ;Sweet

I would not mix match injectors. I probably wouldn't run a old ones and new ones together even if they did have the same code--that's just me though. My truck ran like total worthless crap because one bank had D codes and the other side had BB's :puke:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Get the remans from Pensecola - I bought some last spring and the 6.9 runs great. I had to pull 6 injectors from a 466 I rebuilt at work using a slide hammer - they came out so hard it pulled the copper tubes as well...LOL....Good thing I was replacing the head....FYI - an older IH 466 injector has the same thread as a JIC hydraulic cap - #4 I believe. I welded a nut to it and bingo with the slide hammer.

gandalf

Reaction score
Simply grind off the big threads on the injector body. Then screw it back together into the nozzle cap in the engine until it turns the whole body and comes out. You can also at this point use a slide hammer to extract it. Replace injectors with new ones.

That's the way I did it. Worked like a charm. Nothing could have been easier. Here's a picture of the injector with threads ground off.

You must be registered for see images attach

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You should really be using an injector seat ream at this point. after you get the stuck injectors out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I also question why you are replacing the copper washers but... Now that you have done this don't stop and do a half ass job by mixing injectors. The motor will run terrible. Whats happening is the old injectors are poping at a differant pressure than the new ones. Thats changing the timing on the differant pressures . If you have carbon in the injector bores you have had a compression leak past the copper washer. Hopefully that has not cut the seats in the head. If it has you will need an injector seat reamer to clean up the damaged seats. I have one if you need it. Just pay the shipping both ways. A rebuilt set of injectors usually isn't what we tell members to install. They are just about the same price as new injectors. Now finding a set of new BB codes may be difficult but it can be done. Check ebay. I see them all the time or at least the posting says so. Nothing really wrong with a rebuilt set either. To determine if the seat is damaged use a pointed dental pick. Drag it around the seat area. If the pick gets hung up you have a cut that needs to be cut out. The reamer will do that.... Hope this helps you understand whats happening in your heads....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance