injector replacement fun

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Got a wild hair to change my injectors and return line in my 91. BIG MISTAKE! 2 came out in half. The rest were stuck. Called good ol' Ron for advice on the 2 separated injectors. #5 and #8the were the problem children. #5 came right out using Ron's trick. #8 cracked instead. I even had let it soak the longest. Called Ron again who told me i was pretty much looking at pulling the head and to call Gary(icanfixall). I tried a few tjibgs but didn't want to botjer Gary. Finally at hour 6 (yes 6!) I grabbed my crack torch and went ro town heating that little pos up! My sister call as i was heating up it injector body so i answered and as we were talking i was threading the top of the injector intp the stuck lower portion. As it was threading all of a sudden it felt like the threads pulled some . So i pulled on the top part so i could inspect and was surprised to see it all come out! Told my sister i won that small battle and then called Ron. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Its been a long day. I'm tired and the truck and i aren't on speaking terms..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... Its been a long day.... I'm tired and the truck and i aren't on speaking terms..

That...is signature worthy quote that is LOL

Glad it worked out for ya, please try to describe and show with pics in detail what you did and how and what you heated to get that bad boy out. That would be very helpful to others here.

Now don't go to bed mad, go say goodnight and make up before you go to bed...she was nice n released it on ya!

LOL

:popcorn

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
On a brighter note, i used my tool kit! :D seat reamer came in handy as all 8of injectors seats needes reamed. Also the injector line wrench is a great tool.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That...is signature worthy quote that is LOL

Glad it worked out for ya, please try to describe and show with pics in detail what you did and how and what you heated to get that bad boy out. That would be very helpful to others here.

Now don't go to bed mad, go say goodnight and make up before you go to bed...she was nice n released it on ya!

LOL

:popcorn

I will try and do that tomorrow. Its 1am and i was wanting to be done at 10! But if you think it will really help i'll get you your pictures :D

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tails of this type that give me nightmares. I got these new injectors! I've had them for 4 weeks all ready! I just been putting it off because everyone has these bone chilling stories about changing them.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Funny, EVERY SINGLE PART OR REPAIR I have ever done on my truck takes 3x longer than necessary, because I have to clean EVERYTHING. Never never never buy an old farm truck. No matter how good it looks, or how well it runs.... Never never never.

And yet, changing out the injectors took less than an hour. No problems whatsoever. Go figure.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's tails of this type that give me nightmares. I got these new injectors! I've had them for 4 weeks all ready! I just been putting it off because everyone has these bone chilling stories about changing them.

Changing my ip, injectors was a no big deal job. Even replaced the glow plugs as I wasn't sure of brand/mileage (ended up having berus in there ;Sweet but put new ones in anyway).

I heard the horror stories, prepared for the possibility, then was pleasantly surprised at the way it went down.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats a sad story with a happy ending. But why good ole Ron is sending me others issues surprises me.. He knows as much if not more about these idi engines than I do... So what gives Ron.. Shareing the wealth taking you away from the dogs too much....:eek::rotflmao:angel::D Thanks for the thoughts bud.. I'm always in your corner.. Just not when its dark..:moon:-Showtits;Poke As to the stuck injecters and bad seats. Were there copper washer gaskets on all the injecters. How did you determine the seats were bad. Have you removed all the carbon buildup from the injecter bores. It sounds like someone didn't know to torque the injecters to 35 lbs or they reused the old copper gaskets. Well glad your nearly done and no need to remove the head. That was a close call too. Removeing a head to get out a stuck injecter is never and easy job.