Injector Rebuilding

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started tinkering with a 6.9 that is going to eventually replace the 7.3 in my truck. So far I have disassembled one cylinder head. In the process I removed all the injectors, glowplugs, valves etc. My intention is to rebuild and poptest these injectors and install them in the 7.3 to see if I can get it running any smoother. It still has the original injectors (252k miles) and I am sure they must be somewhat inconsistent by now.

So does anyone have information on how to rebuild the injectors? I am sure I can get them apart and back together but what else is involved in getting them right. I know they will need to be shimmed to adjust pop pressure but what can be used for the shims?

Also what pressure range should I be shooting for? I am thinking 1900 -2000 psi.

Thanks for any info.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point entirely. I am doing this solely because I want to. I could very easily buy some new injectors but I would still probably have to pop test and fine tune them anyway to get what I want out of them.

I will proceed with my original plan in spite of this and try to share something useful about it should I have any success in my efforts.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would be interested in seeing the information, just got to finish welding up my pop injector to try some of this myself.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pop pressure of 1900-2000 will be good for a turbo motor.
Shims are available from US Diesel--just have to tell them what size--od and hole size.
There was a tech write up over at diesel stop by shimonmor abt. injector rebuilding but I can't seem to find it now.
Most people that have attempted inj. rebuilding came away with the conclusion it just ain't worth it, but a good cleaning and setting the pop off will be an improvement over what they are now.

Dennis

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dennis thanks for the heads up on US diesel.

I disassembled one injector this morning and it came right apart. Not really much to it but it seems the pintle and nose of the injector won't come apart. I am not really sure if they are supposed to or not but it seems they ought to. Anyone know what needs to be done to get it apart without damaging the pintle tip? That's assuming it's supposed to come apart.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should come apart real easy, try pulling it apart with a pair of sofr pliars, or tap the side lightly, these things are hard your probibly not gonna hurt them as long as your not using a BFH LOL
I had one checked on a rockwell tester at work, I cant remember the exact # but I thought they 45-50ish which is HARD.