Injector pump longevity

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, what are you all doing to increase injector pump longevity running wmo, I’m into this not for the cool or a project but purely for financial reasons, fuels is $2.50L here ($9.50gal) and it’ll never come back, it’ll be $10L here in next few hrs for sure, our gov is too put it nice, guns all gone in 1996 now there talking combustion engines by 2030-35, and they still can’t build a road let alone power infrastructure, wmo etc is a necessity for me n making it work with as little maintenance as possible, obviously centrifuge,filters etc, what else can be done, is there some cool additive that can be periodically run through, what’s the life expectancy of a Mech pump, I’ll be thinning properly polished oils but it’s still guna be black so I’m not wrongly assuming there’s carbon or what ever in there, can the pumps handle it??

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mate, these are the questions that plague us WMO guys. This is where the nay sayers chime in and say, "you'll be lucky to get outta yer driveway when that sludge hits yer IP". And then an old guy will come back with, "I've been doing this for over 10 years and 100K miles with no issues". It's all over the map. I don't do it because it's fun or neat or cool, it's my way of bucking the system.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe all the nay sayers are chev owners like me I’m guna have no issues with sludge mate I’ll be surety take care of that, but yeah curious if there is a way to preserve/protect the pump

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like you'll be doing everything you can. If you want it to last a lot longer, pull it off your truck, wrap it in bubble wrap, and put it in the bottom of your freezer. It'll last forever like that, won't be good for anything, but you won't be wearing it out.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I do is settle the oil and pump it through a 20-30micron filter into my truck. I had an IP go out on me but I can't absolutely, teetotally say it was the oil that did it.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like you'll be doing everything you can. If you want it to last a lot longer, pull it off your truck, wrap it in bubble wrap, and put it in the bottom of your freezer. It'll last forever like that, won't be good for anything, but you won't be wearing it out.
Hey that’s an idea might cryvac it too, is there certain oils that are safer than others, say trans hydro diff etc not exposed to combustion?? Or are they worse due too additives, or does no one really know

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey that’s an idea might cryvac it too, is there certain oils that are safer than others, say trans hydro diff etc not exposed to combustion?? Or are they worse due too additives, or does no one really know
The opinions are allllllll over the place. Tranny fluid sounds like the best until additives get mentioned, motor oil sounds best until super abundance of nanoparticles of metal and carbon get mentioned, then a nay will come along and mention using diesel fuel is a good idea and then I'll ask him to fund me driving around and point out that the new low sulfur diesel is supposed to be bad for our IPs as well. There's no hard fast answer. My conclusion is this, nothing last forever except God and the souls of men. So I'm going to scoop up extra IPs when I find them, learn how to overhaul them and run to death until a nay sayer comes along and says he'll fill up my fuel tanks once a week if I quit driving on oil.......but then I'll point out that I'm killing my IP on this new nonlubricating diesel.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The opinions are allllllll over the place. Tranny fluid sounds like the best until additives get mentioned, motor oil sounds best until super abundance of nanoparticles of metal and carbon get mentioned, then a nay will come along and mention using diesel fuel is a good idea and then I'll ask him to fund me driving around and point out that the new low sulfur diesel is supposed to be bad for our IPs as well. There's no hard fast answer. My conclusion is this, nothing last forever except God and the souls of men. So I'm going to scoop up extra IPs when I find them, learn how to overhaul them and run to death until a nay sayer comes along and says he'll fill up my fuel tanks once a week if I quit driving on oil.......but then I'll point out that I'm killing my IP on this new nonlubricating diesel.
Yeah ok absolutely not a bad idea at all, never pulled down a db2 but **** if I can build a boat from scratch I can do absolutely anything, sooooo I’m prob in ur corner here. Need to get a second pump (injectors are way cheap) n have the know how to swap them out properly n then refurb, probably won’t keep it in the freezer though will def bubble wrap it. Do u guys have mud wasps/mud building hornets over there, they run an absolute muck here, if **** too long one try’s to block up the end of my ok’d fella with mud,

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah ok absolutely not a bad idea at all, never pulled down a db2 but **** if I can build a boat from scratch I can do absolutely anything, sooooo I’m prob in ur corner here. Need to get a second pump (injectors are way cheap) n have the know how to swap them out properly n then refurb, probably won’t keep it in the freezer though will def bubble wrap it. Do u guys have mud wasps/mud building hornets over there, they run an absolute muck here, if **** too long one try’s to block up the end of my ok’d fella with mud,
Yeah, I got mud wasp in NW Florida! I wrap masking tape around injector lines and most anything that's important. Even still, bolt holes, pieces of fuel hose, etc. Anything less than 3/8in gets packed with super hard mud.

Edit: might be a good reason to leave them in the freezer.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow just looking at db2 injector pumps in the US they are way way cheaper than over here. I see there listed for 6.2 6.5 chev and 6.9 7.3 fords so are the fords running the exact same pump or is there differences? I also noticed there’s dif manufacturers of them, is figment the same between the different brands

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow just looking at db2 injector pumps in the US they are way way cheaper than over here. I see there listed for 6.2 6.5 chev and 6.9 7.3 fords so are the fords running the exact same pump or is there differences? I also noticed there’s dif manufacturers of them, is figment the same between the different brands
I have no idea. The DB2 comes in 4,6, and 8 cylinder configurations. If I was to guess they're probably the same, but I'm guessing. If you figure it out before I do let me know. I actually started a thread called "Jesus Freaks WMO IP thread" to see if I could drum up interest in building IPs or to see if any of those that "know" could tell me where the "wear areas" are, it didn't really stimulate folks. eventually I'll get back to it, I'm currently doing other stuff.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They‘re both DB2 pumps, but the Chevy model turns opposite of the Ford.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO and @snicklas we're hashing that out on another thread. Apparently the Chevy is turned by a chain and international used a gear(superior) so technically they turn the same.
Pumps do not turn the same on a 6.2/6.5 compared to 6.9/7.3. They hashed that out on the other thread.

I'll clean the info up for anyone else reading or searching.

Both cranks turn CW when viewed from the front. 99.9+% of RWD vehicles do that AFAIK. 6.2/6.5 uses a timing chain for cam-crank, that makes the cam turn CW in those as well. 6.9/7.3 uses a gear drive w/ no idlers for the cam-crank, which turns the cam CCW. The injection pumps on both are driven cam gear-pump gear w/ no idler, so the injection pump on a 6.2/6.5 is CCW driven, and CW driven on an 6.9/7.3.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pumps do not turn the same on a 6.2/6.5 compared to 6.9/7.3. They hashed that out on the other thread.

I'll clean the info up for anyone else reading or searching.

Both cranks turn CW when viewed from the front. 99.9+% of RWD vehicles do that AFAIK. 6.2/6.5 uses a timing chain for cam-crank, that makes the cam turn CW in those as well. 6.9/7.3 uses a gear drive w/ no idlers for the cam-crank, which turns the cam CCW. The injection pumps on both are driven cam gear-pump gear w/ no idler, so the injection pump on a 6.2/6.5 is CCW driven, and CW driven on an 6.9/7.3.
That's right! It actually says on the internals of the pump CW or CCW. My bad.