Injector Pump and Injectors

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Gents,

My fuel consumption has deteriorated--I'm getting about 12 in town when I once got 15+. :eek: . With 149K on the clock, I am still on the original injection pump. Injectors were changed out at about 100K. I use lubricity additive with each fill-up.

Under WFO throttle, the engine feels like it has a miss, and emits a fair amount of smoke--it still pulls hard, but it lacks the smoothness it once had. It has always smoked some under full throttle--I think Banks turned up the pump a bit when they installed the turbo. It starts quickly, even on cold mornings--good glow plugs and controller. The turbo was installed in '91 or early '92. It will put up 7 or 8 pounds of boost under a load.

What suppliers do you recommend that I contact about an injection pump and injectors? I checked our advertisers list and it seems that they mostly cater to the PSD crowd.

Thanks as always for your input.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Mr. Ezekiel

Thanks for the web site.

It would appear that I can install additional performance for little extra money by purchasing the components from them. :).

I talked to a diesel injection shop in Woodstock (northwest of Atlanta) today, and they get $400 to rebuild my pump--they would go that direction so that the changes that Banks made when they installed the thing would be preserved. They also get $35 each for garden variety injectors and $35 for an "O" ring kit. The shop here projected about 5 hours of labor at $75/hour to do the install on both the injection pump and the injectors, presuming a minimum of interferance from the turbo system--since I think I have one of the older units (big square intake with K&N filter inside) it doesn't get in the way as much as one of the more current Banks units. How does that sound to you if I choose not to tackle the job by myself. Extra time is not available just now, and the truck is a daily driver.

I appreciate your help.

I will give the folks in the link a call tomorrow.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If you ask me, those prices are unreasonable. Buy your parts elsewhere and see if they'll install them and time the pump.Here's a rebuilt turbo injection pump for 3 bills. They also have new Stanadyne injectors for $23.00. The "G" code inj's are a little more.

Also, any competant diesel tech should be able to do an IP/Inj swap in about an 1-1/2-2 hrs. Barring any complications. I know I can do it

Exekiel69

Reaction score
gabbyr100rs said:
Mr. Ezekiel

Thanks for the web site.

It would appear that I can install additional performance for little extra money by purchasing the components from them. :).

I talked to a diesel injection shop in Woodstock (northwest of Atlanta) today, and they get $400 to rebuild my pump--they would go that direction so that the changes that Banks made when they installed the thing would be preserved. They also get $35 each for garden variety injectors and $35 for an "O" ring kit. The shop here projected about 5 hours of labor at $75/hour to do the install on both the injection pump and the injectors, presuming a minimum of interferance from the turbo system--since I think I have one of the older units (big square intake with K&N filter inside) it doesn't get in the way as much as one of the more current Banks units. How does that sound to you if I choose not to tackle the job by myself. Extra time is not available just now, and the truck is a daily driver.

I appreciate your help.

You can call me EZ like everybody here. I will get the parts with Ken (dps) and have someone install them for Me if I would not have the time. You can call Ken and He sure will help with any questions you have. He prices are competitive and he's parts very reliable.

If you can manage to get some time and do it yourself there is a fuel injection system service article on the archives of this forum.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
$375 to swap out some injectors? guess they have to make a living too...

shame you don't live closer, I'd tell you to drop in some night and we can change them out.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
If you ask me, those prices are unreasonable. Buy your parts elsewhere and see if they'll install them and time the pump.Here's a rebuilt turbo injection pump for 3 bills. They also have new Stanadyne injectors for $23.00. The "G" code inj's are a little more.

Also, any competant diesel tech should be able to do an IP/Inj swap in about an 1-1/2-2 hrs. Barring any complications. I know I can do it

Did'nt read your post before I posted.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
gabbyr100rs said:
Mr. Ezekiel

Thanks for the web site.

I appreciate your help.

Sounds like a reasonable price for everything you mentioned, and if the shop is close to you I would say go for it. I just had my injection pump rebuilt for about the same price you mentioned at a local shop. I had a friend help me install it so dunno what the shop labor was rated at but I would say 75 is resonable especially since most shops have the tools and knowledge to work fast.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Are you kidding? 5 hours to do a pump and injector change? I wouldn't call that reasonable.

You can save over $200 just buying the parts somewhere else.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the reference points. I have more research to do! I assume that a later model Ford turbo specific injection pump will bolt into my '91 in place of the stock unit.

This forum and the people that participate are a huge resource for folks like me that like their old IDI powered pickup.

Thanks again!

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
The $300 for the turbo pump turns into $425 when the ebay vendor adds shipping.

$125 for UPS ground shipping seems a tad steep to me...

Am I missing something here?? I am not ebay savvy, at least not yet.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yup that is steep, I just shipped one for under $20.00 But some sellers keep the prics of the product down, and make up for it on the shipping. It saves them money on E-Bay fees.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So.. If we do get back $100.00 of the $125.00 shipping fee as the core charge maybe thats a good deal. I for one would be asking questions about the shipping for sure. Several years ago I got robbed and paid $58.00 ffor each injector because I didn't know any differance. Now I do and I'll NEVER be taken for a pocketbook ride again. Well at least not on my truck parts.