Injector Ports

sporanox

Reaction score
I am running W80. Anytime I go to other forums I get a hard time about having to replace the injector pump. Is this true or just haters?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well heres how I view replacing the IP.
Yes it is probably true running any amount of wmo is make the IP go bad sooner, BUT the savings in fuel cost will offset that.
For instance, a rebuilt IP from Mel, (agmen), conestoga diesel, is anywhere from $600 - $800. $800 in diesel fuel will get you 210 gallons. If your truck gets really good mileage @ 20 mpg thats roughly 4200 miles.
So depending on how many miles you drive in a week/month you could figure it out from there.
Plus using wmo is not as easy as pulling up to a pump.
Someone here figured out a whole years worth of running wmo and the figures were interesting.

sporanox

Reaction score
WMO

Well heres how I view replacing the IP.
Yes it is probably true running any amount of wmo is make the IP go bad sooner, BUT the savings in fuel cost will offset that.
For instance, a rebuilt IP from Mel, (agmen), conestoga diesel, is anywhere from $600 - $800. $800 in diesel fuel will get you 210 gallons. If your truck gets really good mileage @ 20 mpg thats roughly 4200 miles.
So depending on how many miles you drive in a week/month you could figure it out from there.
Plus using wmo is not as easy as pulling up to a pump.
Someone here figured out a whole years worth of running wmo and the figures were interesting.

I will drive 500 miles a week for 32 weeks a year to work( I work in education). It should start to add up quickly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As a side note, depending on what part of the pump goes bad, it may not be rebuildable, so in turn that drives the price up on pumps.
Just saying I wouldn't consider them "throwaways" with fuel savings.
Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think properly filtered and thinned WMO has a noticeable effect on pump life. Although anecdotal, I've been running WMO on a 7.3 IDI, 7.3 PSD, and an 8.3 ISC, for a combined 40K miles and haven't had any mechanical failures. After learning on the IDI, I now have a centrifuge and clean my oil for a minimum of 24 passes and then run it through a couple more filters. WIth all of that, I have zero worries about the fuel negatively affecting the engine.

The only caveat is that my PSD is starting to smoke a tad but I attribute that to 260K mile injectors more than WMO wearing stuff out.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baloney..... thats what I think about it.

Got well over 50,000 on one pump with WMO. They aren't bullet proof, but they aren't eggshells either. With more and more IDI's going off the road I don't see the core availability really decreasing to speak of. Diesels have enough value they rarely make it to the shredder without being pulled apart first.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 54 miles to work one way. 9 days to a pay period = 936 miles evey two weeks.

My truck gets 14-15 mpg. That equals 66 gallons.

If I ran straight diesel $270 a pay in fuel.

WMO? About 40-50 a pay.

Saving $400 will buy a brand new, top of the line pump 6 times a year. But instead I buy $20 junk yard pumps. Got 3 on the shelf and haven't had one fail on me yet due to running WMO with 10k on my DD and unknown miles before that.

I broke ONE pump solely from waste oil. But it was about 2*F and I put the fuel line into a bucket of %100 oil while the engine was wide open. When the oil hit the IP it sheared the shaft. That was a learning experiment.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points guys, another thing I didn't say, just implied it.
Even if you do need to change a IP, its not gonna be every year unless something really goes bad.
AND, if a person is gonna figure all your "costs", need to figure your filters, CF, electricity to run all the motors, lights, etc.
Or at least estimate things....
Sometimes I think people will make fun of things they don't understand or afraid of trying something different....

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points guys, another thing I didn't say, just implied it.
Even if you do need to change a IP, its not gonna be every year unless something really goes bad.
AND, if a person is gonna figure all your "costs", need to figure your filters, CF, electricity to run all the motors, lights, etc.
Or at least estimate things....
Sometimes I think people will make fun of things they don't understand or afraid of trying something different....

I got so much **** from my dad and brothers when I started running oil about how it won't work, you break stuff, your truck won't run for ****, yada yada yada.

I hauled a tractor to Ohio and came back on $20 of fuel.
They now wish their trucks would run on oil.

Don't listen to the haters, clean it good, run it, fine tune it and smile passing gas pumps.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not saying it was right or wrong or anything. Just what someone had mentioned about the pumps.
But whoever said it above, proper filtration is key.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, proper filtration is most assuredly key, ask me how I know. Changing a fuel filter on the side of the road while your daughter and her friend wait is embarrassing, not so much for me, but her. I just had an episode with water blinding a filter. Gonna suck the car tank dry with the super sucker and start with fresh filters.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I always got, "your going to blow your truck up" from the guys at work...that was about 8k miles ago.;Really and honestly, if done correctly, filtered WMO probably has less contaminates than pump diesel in it. The only difference is our fuel may have a higher viscosity and better lubrication. Since when did that cause pumps to fail???

sporanox

Reaction score
WMO

I always got, "your going to blow your truck up" from the guys at work...that was about 8k miles ago.;Really and honestly, if done correctly, filtered WMO probably has less contaminates than pump diesel in it. The only difference is our fuel may have a higher viscosity and better lubrication. Since when did that cause pumps to fail???
I am running a WMO 80/20 mix in my 1986 Chevy 6.2. It takes longer to start now since going to WMO. Any suggestions?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a WMO 80/20 mix in my 1986 Chevy 6.2. It takes longer to start now since going to WMO. Any suggestions?

Do you have 1 tank for fuel...??? If you have 2 tanks keep clean diesel in one tank and wmo in the other...???
Don't know a lot about the 6.2's but it should be a mechanical diesel like our 7.3's.
If your IP & injectors have a few miles on them, use a little stronger mix of diesel kleen or diesel injector cleaner...???
Maybe every 3rd or 4th tank of fuel run straight diesel, then back to your mix of wmo.
Make sure your batteries are fully charged or your starter is ok.
I'm assuming it has glow plugs, check those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726