injector age? and a dozen other questions

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
1. how can you tell if you have the original injectors?
mine have something that looks like "CAV England" engraved on them, but nothing else.

2. Also along the line of injectors.... looks like I can get new ones, in the box for $165, or get the "G" type for $250, these are supposed to be for the turbo'd trucks (which mine currently is). These are from the international dealer nearby, still in the original boxes. Is this worth the extra expense?

3. A friend mentioned the IP looks like it was rebuilt sometime or another, as it has some red paint on it... any truth to that?

4. the other day, I was passing a truck... it was a little international hauling four peanut trailers. Roads here are typical of south Ga, winding, and everyone drives fast. peanut trailer truck was doing 45, so I passed him. Normal acceleration, accelerator held evenly, not like I was jammin on it, and the trans downshifted at a very bad time.... end result, 3,800+ rpms, before I could let off. (was a little suprising)
I thought these trucks were goverend to 3,300rpms. Why would the truck have done this, and how can I fix it (short of pulling the kickdown rod)

thanks for your help,
Drew

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
1. how can you tell if you have the original injectors?
mine have something that looks like "CAV England" engraved on them, but nothing else.
IIRC, the original injectors should have "Stanadyne" stamped on them...they made the injectors as well as the pump. I would venture to guess that your injectors have been replaced at some point, but I can't say for certain.

2. Also along the line of injectors.... looks like I can get new ones, in the box for $165, or get the "G" type for $250, these are supposed to be for the turbo'd trucks (which mine currently is). These are from the international dealer nearby, still in the original boxes. Is this worth the extra expense?
I have no idea *lol* Actually, I'm not sure if anyone knows for certain if the "G" injectors are worth the extra $$ or not...maybe someone's done a more recent comparison?

3. A friend mentioned the IP looks like it was rebuilt sometime or another, as it has some red paint on it... any truth to that?
Where is the paint? My rebuilt injector pump has yellow paint on various bolt heads, to show if the pump has ever been opened up...if the yellow paint is damaged in a way that indicates that the bolt's been turned, the IP falls out of warranty (not that it matters in my case; I think my DIS pump's long out of warranty). If your red paint is in similar spots, I would say that you've got a rebuilt pump. At 155K miles, this isn't a surprise...it seems as though these IP's generally have a 100K mile lifespan. :(

4. the other day, I was passing a truck... it was a little international hauling four peanut trailers. Roads here are typical of south Ga, winding, and everyone drives fast. peanut trailer truck was doing 45, so I passed him. Normal acceleration, accelerator held evenly, not like I was jammin on it, and the trans downshifted at a very bad time.... end result, 3,800+ rpms, before I could let off. (was a little suprising)
I thought these trucks were goverend to 3,300rpms. Why would the truck have done this, and how can I fix it (short of pulling the kickdown rod)
I'm not experienced with auto transmissions in these trucks, but that sounds like something's up. Can the kickdown rod be adjusted? I would have thought that the transmission would have been set up to not allow the engine to downshift at a speed that would cause the engine to run beyond the governed RPM (which, I believe, is 3400 RPM). I don't think this is right, but someone with more knowledge on the C6 will need to give a more authoritative answer.

Hope this helps a little, at least...good luck!!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
it does help a lil.... I have had a bunch of little questions for awhile :p

my last truck with a c6, I took the kickdown rod off of, so I can't say if this is usual or not.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously the govenor in your current IP is not working or has drifted to a higher setting. Not to worry, as Ken at DPS builds pumps set to 3800 on purpose, so the engine can take it. However, if that was my truck, the kickdown rod would be gone. Most likely, the IP and injectors have been replaced. The odds of finding an 80's vintage truck with original fuel system components seems very unlikely. The IP especially would have blown a seal by now, and the subsequent leak would have forced a replacement. Paint is the best way to tell about the injector's. These engines are painted after all the injectors and lines are installed at the factory, so if there is any rust or paint scraped off at all on the lines around the injectors, they have been worked on.