Injection Pump Lock?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the line from the filter to pump leaks, would the air intrusion be enough that the pump wouldn't push fuel?
Could the olives on that steel line leak (not seeing any diesel drips though at that line) and pump have issues?

It would have to leak pretty bad. Mine had a noticable leak there but ran without issue.

mightykp

Reaction score
No go at this point. I think maybe the FSS is not engaging completely to open. It clicks, but not very loud when i give it 12V.
Before swapping the entire pump, that seems like a decent gamble.
I'll check the forums for FSS swap -- i have another pump. Any other ideas?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll check the forums for FSS swap -- i have another pump. Any other ideas?
If it was me, I'd just swap the entire top of the pumps instead of just the FSS's. It's quicker and less work. Just make sure that the other solenoid works and moves freely before installing the other top.

mightykp

Reaction score
IDI Bronco,
that's what i did and -- after sparks flew from the overworked starter-- I swapped a replacement starter and still get no fuel past the pump.
I'm retracing my steps from a great running engine to a no start. I did only one thing prior: I set up a manual glow plug control. Is it possible that is preventing the pump? Maybe I loosened a transmission /shift/brake sensor under the steering column that prevents the pump from pushing out fuel?
Crazy or could something simple be the cause?
Thanks for any theories, or ideas, and if need be -- swapping the pump?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm retracing my steps from a great running engine to a no start. I did only one thing prior: I set up a manual glow plug control. Is it possible that is preventing the pump? Maybe I loosened a transmission /shift/brake sensor under the steering column that prevents the pump from pushing out fuel?
Nope. Not possible. The only thing electronic that will keep the IP from pumping fuel is the FSS. Since you're now sure that at least one of the two works, there's nothing else electronic that will keep it from pumping fuel. The safety switches under the steering column will only keep the starter from spinning with the key. Even a slow turning starter will let the IP pump some fuel out of it. I think it may be time to swap the IP and see what happens.

Oldschool280

Reaction score
I went through this on my f350, fuel selector valve wasnt allowing fuel to return to the tank and stopped everything, i would be able to fill the water separator with fuel, screw it on and get it to run for a minute. After banging the selector with a mallet while my son flipped the switch , seem to have moved where it needs to be and now it runs fine on the front tank. Im gonna swap out the selector switch when the weather is nice. But that had me stuck, i ran the truck on a beer keg full of diesel for a week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726