Injection Pump Lock?

mightykp

Reaction score
It can't be the injection pump?

NO fuel from hard lines at injectors.

Checked for air and have great flow from fuel filter. Cleaned T fitting on top of injection pump (with small ball valve). Undid top of injection pump and the governor/internals seems to move fine. But no matter how much cranking at intervals (this is day 3) NO fuel at the injectors -- even with steel caps nearly off. Always great flow at filter to pump.

History:

Finished swapping 90 E350 IDI non turbo(church van low miles) into 93 F350, moving turbo and drive belt accessories.
Purged air from lines, tested with clear gallon jug of diesel 1 line to pump another from return back to jug.
FIRST crank with key on she fired, sounded great. Ran 45-60 seconds. Later started and ran for 30-60.
Next day switched to truck fuel tank lines. Cranked from front tank, nothing. Switched to rear tank and second or third crank success. Ran for another minute then turned off. Next day nothing. YES, fuel in tank.
Yes, fuel stream good from lift pump. Can't purge air at injectors because no fuel makes it there.

She sounded great when running, but I didn't have the radiator yet so had to sit.
ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you turn the key on can you hear the fuel cut off click? Maybe that went bad and isn’t allowing your pump to pump fuel.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mess with any internals while the top was open? And when you put the top back on did you hold it forward , then slide it back in place? If you have fuel in the top of the pump ,but nothing to the injectors it sounds like the problem is right there.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when I say the fss, i mean the switch on the frame rail below the driver seat. The other to check, the one Fire is saying I think is the shutoff on the top of the pump.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure and gph delivery.
Is the pump clocked correctly?

mightykp

Reaction score
Quickster,
I didn't play at all with pump internals when top off, just seeing if they were frozen. I'll remove and re-attach, but I think the top's on correctly. All fuel in it looked clear.
I haven't played with fuel selector switch on rail. And the fuel pump is original, and pushes out a good amount from the open schrader valve. That's what's throwing me off: I get great flow out of the fuel filter. Even when I crack the hard line leading to the injection pump, I get a decent amount of fuel dribbling down.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If removing and replacing pump cover doesn’t do anything, go back to your gallon jug and see if it runs. Then you know if it’s ip or truck fuel system.

Reactions: Clb

mightykp

Reaction score
Went back to clear lines to gallon jug.
Flow is great through lift pump and into injection pump. But air intrusion, a decent amount that i see in the return line to jug. I re-tightened the hard line from pump to filter and it helped but still some air.
Still, I don't get fuel after injection pump as cracking the hard lines doesn't result in any bleeding air or dribbling of diesel.
What's next?
I'm so reluctant to pull the lift pump and or injection pump as that truck sounded as strong and smooth as any i've heard --- when it ran a half dozen times for minute intervals.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're getting fuel into the IP but not fuel out, you've got the problem narrowed down quite a bit.

mightykp

Reaction score
If the line from the filter to pump leaks, would the air intrusion be enough that the pump wouldn't push fuel?
Could the olives on that steel line leak (not seeing any diesel drips though at that line) and pump have issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online