Injection pump issue

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with WMO, and my trucks been doing fine until yesterday. I took I trip to the a salvage yard bout a 35 minute drive and I had replaced the fuel filter the night before, I got there got some parts and get to my truck and it won't start. I know the glow plugs work, then it finally tried but ran rough and then slow died. I checked the lift pump before the filter and after both were flowing fuel, I cracked all the injector lines and cranked it over with the key on and nothing, cranked for a long time still nothing, made shur the fuel shut off was working, but no go, bout 15 minutes later it finally starts but it sounds weird and it didn't have as much power. It's still running but is this WMO related?? Its running on diesel now but still the same thing, IP and injectors have 190,000 miles on them.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
the same thing happened again today, the lift pump is working but nothing comes out the injector lines, could the shut off solenoid be sticking, I think my IP is leaking which would cause some starting issues, but i'll check again tomorrow, it started up eventually and ran fine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
While it does sound like you have a problem in the supply side ( restriction, lift pump etc) that IP and injectors are a good 100K+ overdue for replacement as well. Something to consider in the big picture.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that IP and injectors are a good 100K+ overdue for replacement as well. Something to consider in the big picture.

I keep smiling and just waiting for my whole fuel system to just stop one day, its bound to sooner or later. Its been on more than a couple trucks and just wont stop. (IP and Injectors) LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the same thing happened again today, the lift pump is working but nothing comes out the injector lines, could the shut off solenoid be sticking, I think my IP is leaking which would cause some starting issues, but i'll check again tomorrow, it started up eventually and ran fine.

Marnin, unhook the FSS wire. Turn the key to the run position to put power to the wire. Hook the FSS wire back up and listen. You should hear it click. No click, it may be dead. But, with that many miles on the IP and injectors, they are on borrowed time.

Heath

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, it's raining really nicelly today, so I need to wait for the shop to clear out before i work on stuff, but it started just fine and it idles with a lot of black smoke at idle until it warmes up some then its just a haize of blue, and this is on diesel. I am filtering it down to 10 microns, and I found a big see through inline filter at Walmart and put that in line and its full all the time and its not plugged I have a new Napa fuel filter on to. Oh and I mixed the oil with diesel about 75 - 80% WMO to diesel, and put the correct amount of Power Service additive with it. The WMO mix flowes pretty well, but if it was to thick could the pressure inside the IP blow something like a seal or something like that. I'm still trying to see if this WMO related, I have an Ego to keep up here.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Heath, forgive my negligence, but what is the FSS is it the wire that advances the timing when its cold or is it the kill switch.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try filling the fuel filter with atf and running it for a short time then shutting it down and letting it sit with the atf it the ip. Sounds like somethings a little gummed or carboned up.

You also may want to cut back a little on the percentages and see if that helps any.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like quite a bit of oil fuel ratio. im starting to run wmo through my truck here hopefully by the weekend. its snowing here in north west ohio however so its flowin a little cold. Next week im headed to ny for spring break with a buddy of mine and we are takin the truck. first long haul for the beast so well see.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like quite a bit of oil fuel ratio. im starting to run wmo through my truck here hopefully by the weekend. its snowing here in north west ohio however so its flowin a little cold. Next week im headed to ny for spring break with a buddy of mine and we are takin the truck. first long haul for the beast so well see.

Hey good to see someone else local, I think I've seen your truck around too.

As far as the origional question, no its probibly not WMO related and sounds like a FSS solenoid.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey good to see someone else local, I think I've seen your truck around too.

Yeah you probably have. my mom live in new riegel now and my dad live north of findlay. mom used to live right outside of bascom towards fostoria. so i pretty much drive all over God's green earth. and turnin it black :peelout

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I drove it today and filled it up with diesel and it started running a little worse, less power, and on acceleration I had puffs of white smoke, and it was surging the whole time a drove bout another 25 minutes to Rosedale, but when it idles it idles fine, but theirs a hammering sound coming from the IP that I've never heard before. Drained the water separator and it was clean. This morning it was really hard to start, started and immediately it died and then it started up fine, the whole time I had the accelerator 1/4 the way down.
Heath both times it died I tried the FSS and I heard the clicking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online