Information Please!!!

RedneckDrummer

Reaction score
Hey yall! My bro told me to sign up here to find some more info on diesels so here I am. I'm currently working and saving up money to buy a truck. I am really wanting a diesel 4x4. I would like all of you guys to state anything I need to know about diesel engines. I want at least 15 mpg in town consistantly, and 17 to 20 highway. Dont care if its slow, just want an engine I can count on to always start. What do you guys think about the 6.2 J code chevy? IDI Diesels? 5.9 Cummins?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well, in this neck of the woods you're going to find alot of information on the Ford truck with the International 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engine. As far as cost of purchase, and long term operating costs the Ford/International is a very reasonable combination. The parts for these engines are still quite reasonable, and with the right setup (Turbo/descent injection pump) you can actually get pretty good power out of them too.

Sounds like you've got the right mindset for this. As long as you aren't trying to win races, the International IDI will be good to you.

Read up on the tech articles and the FAQ at the top of this forum and you will glean all the info you could possibly want.

Good luck and Welcome! ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also if fuel milage is your thing the 6.2's generally do very well. As do the 12 valve cummins....

RedneckDrummer

Reaction score
FordGuy100, Don't know my bro's user name, but his real name is mike humphrey. He drives a 92 7.3 IDI non turbo ex cab 5spd 4x4. Hes in iraq right now so i have his truck and love it. But i dont want 12 mpg like my bros. When i have more money i would like to build up an idi. ( dont like powerstroke, Dont want to deal with computers.) I would perfer a ford, but I like the old box chevys and dodges. Its just hard to find a cummins under 6 grand and hard to find a chevy that has been taken care of. I would like to spend 3000 to about 4500 in price. I keep hearing that 6.2s are always breaking down and dont know if that engine is really worth dealing with.

SparkandFire, I would love to build an idi, but I am not looking to race or pull. I just want a reliable diesel to go from point a to b, blow some smoke, and straight pipe so it sounds good.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Hint Hint - If you and your brother both have Ford IDIs it will be easier to work on them when you can both look at each others and have a shared body of knowledge with each other. More Bro bonding time together too as if one truck needs something you will both be wrenching on it?, helping each other out?

Plus, Ford out sold Chevy and Dodge so there are many more of these trucks around and more parts availability.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I do believe you should be able to get a decent rig for the money you outlined. The Logger in my avatar and signature always managed an honest 14mpg, dipping into the 15 range quite often. I managed 19.9mpg on a long interstate trip hauling furniture once. 375 miles round trip. Good luck, you may find something in the marketplace.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I would perfer a ford, but I like the old box chevys and dodges. Its just hard to find a cummins under 6 grand and hard to find a chevy that has been taken care of. I would like to spend 3000 to about 4500 in price. I keep hearing that 6.2s are always breaking down and dont know if that engine is really worth dealing with.

You could just do like myself and Al_E did..... :sly

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy I nice running / driving IDI powered truck for about the same money as just a 5.9 cummins motor alone. I'd like to have the power of a Cummins (sorry guys), but if you're a cheap ******* like me - and not in a big hurry to get anywhere - it's hard to go wrong with an IDI.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I agree with all said here...plus, seems this section is the most active...so one hellova collective of minds to pick!

RedneckDrummer

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info!!! What about turbo kits? Which is best for the IDIs? I've heard turbos bring the mpg up slightly. How much boost can the IDI engines handle safely along with the fuel pump turned 1/8 or 1/6 up?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
on a 6.9 you shouldnt go over 10-12 on stock head bolts, and on a 7.3 you shouldnt go over 14-15 on stock headbolts. They help alot in power but not sure on MPG. If i get another idi it will definitly be turbod, but a properly tuned N/A 7.3 idi will smoke a stock 1st gen psd. Trust me ive done it :D

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Which turbo kit is best? That honestly depends on you, wastegated if you're running around empty a lot, most who tow prefer non-wastegated for lower EGT... But most of us prefer used for a lower price.

On Edit:
I have mine adjusted to 11 lbs, I refuse to go over without studs. When I was N/A I could beat a stock 7.3 stroke (1st and 2nd gen). I did notice a mpg gain with the turbo, 16 when I was N/A city or freeway, Then I was pretty much 20 all summer with a turbo (mostly driving in Detroit, or at peg on the freeway) now I've been getting 17-18 around town, but it leaks fuel like a sive and gets over 20 hours of idle per tank (leave her idle when I go to the store, get drunk and leave it idle all night while I sleep in it ect, ect.). I did see 29-30 for two consecutive tanks in mid summer, but only those two tanks and I believe it was a fluke (but I would like to know how to make it do it all the time).

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering your requirements and price range, you shouldn't have any problem finding an IDI-powered Ford that'll fit your needs. I got my one owner F250 in October of 2009 for $3K. Of course, this was NA, riding on stock-sized tires, needing new batteries and alternator.

I've probably got close to $10K wrapped up into it now, but chances are it'll be on the road and working for a long time to come. ;Sweet