Infamous Sinking Brake Pedal

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Bypass the rabs valve temporarily and see what happens...I had this exact issue with my 92, a new master cylinder didn't help....Deleting the rabs valve cured it - lots of brakes now....My only concern is to see how it acts in the snow when I'm plowing - I will have to wait and see if it locks up too easily in the rear.

From the voice of experience "tread softly and carry a light shoe" Or just "hang on"

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If it locks up too easily I will install an adjustable prop valve...I will have weight in the dump box so I don't expect any issues.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wonder what the superduty trucks have on the frame is it basically the same rabs assembly or is it a improved setup and matched for the disc brakes? I would like to have disc brakes down the road and I wonder when people have problems with the rabs if its because of half a zillion miles on the odometer or a bad design?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
That new 1 1/4" master cylinder really isn't a good idea actually. I did that modification and with the engine not running and no vacuum to the break booster you can barely stop! Basically you lose your hydraulic advantage. That master cylinder is designed for calipers with larger pistons.

One time when my vacuum pump decided to fall off due to me not tightening the bolts properly, i shut the engine off, and of course had no vacuum too, i about died. The brake pedal was rock solid and I basically just had to steer to safety, couldn't hardly stop.

But if you like that sort of thing, you're good then :eek:

Is it possible the new 1 1/8" master cylinder you got before was defective? Did you prime it properly before install?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That new 1 1/4" master cylinder really isn't a good idea actually. I did that modification and with the engine not running and no vacuum to the break booster you can barely stop! Basically you lose your hydraulic advantage. That master cylinder is designed for calipers with larger pistons.

One time when my vacuum pump decided to fall off due to me not tightening the bolts properly, i shut the engine off, and of course had no vacuum too, i about died. The brake pedal was rock solid and I basically just had to steer to safety, couldn't hardly stop.

But if you like that sort of thing, you're good then :eek:

Is it possible the new 1 1/8" master cylinder you got before was defective? Did you prime it properly before install?

I had the same idea in my head at the difference in bore size loosing some of the power making it feel more like manual brakes. I just did a hydroboost swap and used the f450 master cylinder. I am going to put my old master cylinder back on because I have noticed the brakes are nothing like what others have posted with a hydroboost swap. Their good but not what I was expecting. Another thing is the f450 master didn't have the cruise control deactivation switch on it so my abs light is on. I am going to switch back as soon as it feels like summer again.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from the 89 manual, but is pretty much how all RABS unit works, there is 4 downloads once you get there. Some how I lost some of the pages, if you need more, I don't have the manual with me just now.
You must be registered for see images

If you would have difficulty bleeding the RABS, unscrew the large nut/plug on it, in behind it is a piston and spring, remove the spring but leave the piston in, replace the nut, start the engine and pump the brakes several times, apply the brakes, open the bleeder valve on the RABS, close bleeder, release the brakes, then replace the spring. This should give a full brake peddle.
BE SURE AND BLOCK THE WHEELS BEFORE DOING THIS.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a stronger, but same size spring in mine...:D

Wolfer

Reaction score
I took mytruck into shop for complete brake job they could not get front brakes to bleed no pedal and air in lines after bleeding. It is a 94 f-350 IDI Apparently in 94 there was a trailer brake controler option and it had been dripping and when stepping on brake pedal when bleeding front brakes it put air into lines and pumped brake fluid out. Since it was higher than all other brake lines it would not bleed out air at first just fluid but brake pedal went to floor after bleeding. Had mechanic going nuts. This controller was OEM.

Wolfer

Reaction score
That is what I was told it was 24 years ago. I will take your word for it. Just informative in case someone ran into that problem. Maybe I can help someone else. Thanks for correcting me.