If You have low oil pressure and a mechanical gauge

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Here's a tip.
BLEED out the air.
I have a mechanical gauge and was seeing a max of 40psi Cold, and less than 10 psi hot idle.
I just upgraded from the standard nylon tubing to copper. I also bled the air by running the engine and loosening the compression nut at the gauge until I had a good amount of oil.
Immediately I picked up 10 psi, cold.
Since everything is not fully back together ( no coolant), I did not run it for long, so I do noy know the effect on hot idle, but I suspect it will be improved.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The noise from copper tubing made me crazy cookoo ...went back to nylon after one week.

i would stick with the copper and put some vacume line around it, would solve the rattly problem.

thanks for the tip since i am seeing roughly the same numbers now.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The noise from copper tubing made me crazy cookoo ...went back to nylon after one week.

I had the same problem, but I stuck with it with the IDI. But with the C I went to an electronic guage.

Good idea on the vacume line.Jred. My pillar guage was so tight and close to the pillar. I don't think it would have fit but I would have tried it!

Good Tip Mike!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I had a nylon line on my hopped up Buick awhile ago. The line moved and was a little too close to the header, it melted and started leaking (actually running out all over the header thanks to the high pressure oil pump) Made it home and swiched to the copper line. Thats all I use now.
John

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I replaced the nylon because after a year or two ( or 6 or 8)it gets so brittle that it will break if you look at it funny.