Idle "runaway" and other wierd symptom

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once in a while my '93 IDI non-turbo 7.3 will "runaway"... by that I mean I will accellerate gently and the truck will take off like I floored it for a second. Nothing dangerous, but kind of unsettling. Happens especially when cool - within 2 miles of home. Another thing just started happening too - When idling the truck will idle real "lurchy" - like the engine is going to die than "fires" then almost dies... Did this for 2 minutes. When I revved it the engine sounded smooth, but then did this lurchy idle thing again. Then went away. Anyone ever experienced something like this?? Any ideas?? THanks. Andy

pafixitman

Reaction score
Air, pump going out, clogged CDR are my top 3 guesses.

Try a healthy dose of fuel conditioner and see if it goes away. Do you have any fuel leaking from the pump?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Mine acted similiar once and turned out to be dirty fuel filter. Replaced it and never had the trouble again.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Sounds like air in the fuel lines to me . Are there ANY wet spots near the injectors or fuel lines? If the truck gets air in the fuel system it will rev temporally for a few seconds.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Mine doesn't. I assume his doesn't either. It's like it really wants to be revving over 3k rpm's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely fuel starvation due to air, or fuel supply issues. Air is the most likely suspect, since you indicate it does this shortly after you leave the house, and probably doesn't do it again for the rest of the trip until you shut it off. Do yourself a favor and R&R your return lines. See my fuel injection servicing article in the Tech Articles at the top of this forum.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Maybe ours are different problems, but mine are brand new. I still maintain that this is an IP problem.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
As far as the "lurchy" thing -

Does it rev itself? Is that what you mean? Or maybe just a rough idle?

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for all the help...

There are no fuel leaks around the pump, injectors, nor lines. Filter is only a few months old. It kind of does "rev itself", or more accurately, almost dies and then surges to idle speed and then back down to almost dying again. The 6 or 8 times it has done this I have immediately switched tanks just to "do something" and the engine has never died. Next time I will just let it roll and see what happens. Never has this precursed an empty fuel tank; when I run out of fuel it simply dies instantly and that's it. Then switch to the other tank, crank 3 or 4 sets of 30 seconds and I'm on my way. Thanks for all the help, friends. Sincerely, Andy. PS No more smoke than usual when it's doing this. Doesn't seem to be "rough idle", more like water torture!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
It runs out of fuel??

We do have different problems. I'll stop hijacking the post then.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Then I also think you have a return line leak somewhere. That is what is letting the fuel drain back into the tank.