IDI "What if..." Durability and build question

WisdomWarlord

Reaction score
I am doing some brainstorming about the limits and limitations of the IDI engine in my 93 F350.
What if I could feed the engine double the amount of fuel at the same time as the stock "turned up" pump?
Lets first assume its doable.
With that much fuel, would it be reasonable to expect the stock shortblock and head studs to produce reliable power if I blew in 45 psi of boost? How about 60? Im thinking that somewhere between 45 and 60 the fuel system would be maxed and adding more boost would just add more stress without a real payoff on additional torque.
The engine would have the stock pistons, so the cr would remain in the 21:1 neighborhood.

My untested assumption is that the head gaskets would be questionable at that boost level, and possibly the head studs.

I've read that fire rings aren't practical on the IDI because the precombustion chambers will get in the way.
If the rings could be cut into the head successfully, is there enough material to do so and not weaken the head?
If the fire rings are a no-go, then there needs to be more clamping force on the heads to hold them down. Is there enough meat in the block for drilling and tapping for thicker studs? 9/16" should be enough of a bump. Let's assume that the machine work can be done and the stud kit is available. Is the block going to provide the material needed to put in bigger studs and not just create new problems.

Or, would both fire rings and bigger head studs be needed to hold the heads down at that level of boost?

I'm assuming that a big beefy cradle will be needed on the bottom of the block to help keep the crank from dancing a jig at full power, and thats not a problem.

This theoretical engine is still expected to be a daily driver and be pretty reliable, but a non-stock cam grind is ok, as long as drivability doesnt suffer. After all, this is still an engine for a work truck.

Sorry this is a bit scattered, it is a brainstorm after all.

Oh, and... What kind of chassis dyno numbers would you expect such an engine to deliver? Lets assume a 2wd srw with an E4OD.

Oh, and lets assume that the compressed air is cooled enough to maintain intake manifold air temps close to the non-turbo engines. I know we can just heat air to some ridiculous temp and increase the pressure to 45psi and not increase the actual oxygen density in the manifold. After all, the actual goal of a turbo is to feed the engine more oxygen, and not just pressure.

Thanks
Keith HP

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm no expert but, 45-60 PSI boost doesn't sound very reliable to me. I'd think you'd have trouble keeping any kind of gaskets between the heads and block.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Well lets break this down, first build bit is double current fuel delivery of a turbo cal DB2 pump which would put you right around 180cc's at the proven ratio of roughly 2.2-2.6 hp to cc which puts you roughly at 450whp. Boost isn't a good thing, you can take any of the lame 3 up to 20+ psi but a better suited turbo at 10-15psi will make more power. The only way to get 60psi out of an idi is with a vastly wrong sized turbo (like say any of the big 3 with 180ccs fuel) where itll be very inefficient and loosing power compared to a proper turbo.

All that said at 450whp the stock bottom end would hold up and all the top end needs is head studs and a camshaft (might want to do valve springs while your at it). Frankly weve hit 450whp and no ones found the limit of the bottom end or arp head studs/stock head gasket. The problem we currently have in making power is fuel output where as all that's readily avalible is 90cc pumps (Bull moose, RD2-90) with a few experimental pumps hitting 110cc's. If you can get enough fuel the speculated limit of the bottom end (where you should start thinking about upgrading for a reliability standpoint but could probably take it with ease) is 500-550whp and no one knows on the headstuds/gasket as so far the big power guys have been using 6.9s

WisdomWarlord

Reaction score
kc0stp, or anyone. Where can I learn more about these 6.9's that are making big power. Everything I have seen generally lumps the 6.9 and 7.3 together but the 6.9 is favored for its thicker cylinder walls. For the most part I have seen the IDI engines top at the 450 whp neighborhood and the limit does seem to be fuel or transmission. Are there 6.9 IDI's out there that are putting down significantly more than 450? Id love to see what they are breaking on the engines at the 600+ level.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Also keep in mind what type of life expectancy you are willing to live with as well.

WisdomWarlord

Reaction score
Life expectancy would have to be a compromise for sure. My stock 93 has 305k and still runs so good that I made the previous owner prove it was the original engine and not a rebuild, and I've heard of 600k+ IDI's. The purpose of the extra power is work not play, usually, so if the extra power is making me money I'm good with 200-250k. I am ocd about proper preventative maintenance so I'm expecting that to help me see that goal. Less than 150k if I drive it smart isn't reasonable to me and more than 300 would be if Jesus Christ were my mechanic!
Of course, if I could have a million mile 600 whp IDI, well, that would just be peaches! Lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, this is going to be an interesting follow along for certain.

As for bottom end? Ours are quite similar to the PSD diesel engines, so whats the limit to those? Anyone? Then subtract a wee bit for safety and yer likely golden!

Lets assume you have all the money to do this...

Inline pump
N2O
Propane
Turbos
Supercharger
Custom intake
Cam
6.9 Block and HEADS machined for 9/16" studs
Head and Main and all manifold Studs
Bottom end Girdle
Turbo Crank and rods
NEW CUSTOM 6.9 Pistons with TURBO rod wrist pin size Ceramic topped and Moly sides
May as well make them a 4 ring setup too whilst at it!
Custom exhaust manifolds
Some type of monster transmission

There that's yer build or at least the parts!

Have an intake with a blower mounted and two small turbos on each bank for top end and blow those into the supercharger whilst spraying in some **** and N2O that ought to get ya where you want to be...BROKE for one..

Now I'll watch this thread! ;Poke LOL