IDI towing opinions needed

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isnt the towing forum but I actually want IDI drivers opinions so I will word it like this. Which trailer do you think will be better suited to pull behind my 91 7.3 idi ? :Sly ;Sweet

I am stuck choosing between 4 trailer choices.

1997 24 foot enclosed w/ramp door & a/c unit bumperpull. $3200
1990 28 foot enclosed w/ramp door & workbenches. bumperpull $4000
1982 24 foot 5th wheel open trailer old & needs work $1500
2005 20 foot open bumper pull car trailer new $1685

I would be hauling a 16 foot long 3700lb Jeep and 2 dirtbikes + accessories.
With the 20 foot trailer the dirtbikes would need to be lifted to my flatbed. :eek: :puke:

The enclosed trailers rule but there is one catch. I will have to change out the tires on my jeep to haul it in there and run dognut spares to clear the doors. The plus is that I will have plenty room to haul the extra tires and an aircompressor/generator/impact wrench. The second plus is that one trailer has a/c so if I camp wherever I go wheeling I can use it for a sleeper in the hot summer months.

The 5th wheel is the cheapest and could haul everything also but wouldnt be as secure if I stop for food/fuel.

Anyhow, please post up any opinion you have so I can make my decision prior to buying any of these trailers and wishing I didnt. :backoff

Dont be afraid to voice your true opinion either. If you think I am a hoosier for wanting to haul a 16 foot Jeep on a 24 foot trailer cookoo then tell me that. I really want to hear it now instead of later. :hail

Thank you,
Eric

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I think I would go with the 24' enclosed. There is nothing like the peace of mind knowing your belongings are safe. It (hopefully) won't be quite as heavy as the 28 footer so you'll have a little easier time pulling. Invest in a weight distributing hitch and handling will be much better as well. Also your truck bed will be open for other goodies. Good price, too.

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More information about trailers

The 28 foot unit includes an air compressor.
The 24 footer will include the weight distributing hitch set up.

The 28 footer wont back into my driveway so I would have to make another route into the yard by taking down a section of fence and installing a gate. :eek:

Thanks, Eric

Rob94F250

Reaction score
The other factor I think you want to consider is whether or not you can maintain a 10-15 %age of total trailer weight on the hitch of a bumper pull. I suspect that the Jeep will have to sit centered just slightly ahead of center of the trailer axles, which may or may not leave room for the rest of the "stuff".

A weight dist. hitch is a good idea as well, although I have had my unit over the scales when she is empty, and the front end is near the max., yet the rear end still has lots of room for a load - 8800GVWR. The weight distributing hitch would help settle things down when you hit bumps, but I don't think you would want to use it to throw a pile of weight at the front end.

Those are my thoughts...

Last edited:

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think switching tires would be a real PITA I would go with the open trailer. My question is if you can spend $4,000 on the enclosed trailer couldn't you spend a few extra bucks and get a 24 foot flat bed and have room for the bikes on it as well? I I would think you could get into a darn nice new 24 footer for less that 4 grand. I would also recommend getting a 10,000 lb GVRW trailer. You might find you are pushing the limits of the standard 7,000 lb GVRW car trailer. Bear in mind the GVRW includes the weight of the trailer which would be atleast 2,000 lbs and who knows what else you might occasionally want to haul.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up to you just find what fits your needs, i tow a 31 TT @8000# just fine a little slow but i always get where i want. i just drop a hole or 2 & keep the rev's up.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I forgot about the tire switching thing, that sucks. I think I'd go with a nice 24' open bumper pull and maybe a light weight topper to lock stuff up in.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the open trailers will tow easier due to less wind resistance and probably less tare weight. I wouldn't do a 5th wheel if you think you will have to tow over uneven roads to get to your set up point. However, I would definitely prefer the 5th wheel if that were not a consideration. Once you tow with a 5th wheel, you'll never put anything heaving on a ball again.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
If not for having to swap tires/wheels on the jeep to fit the enclosed trailer's I'd say go with the '97 enclosed one for sure. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer with 4-6 dirt bikes regularly with my IDI and really appreciate the convience of the enclosed trailer. No more worrying about the bikes getting stolen, no unloading after a long, late trip home etc. It also makes a handy place to store the bikes. I just keep mine in the trailer and all I have to do to go riding is hook up the IDI to the trailer and go:cool

You must be registered for see images

They do make some really tall enclosed race car trailers that would allow you to fit the jeep with the big wheels I would think, but the weight and wind resistance might be more than the IDI could handle.

good luck and have fun

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
on the 20' open couldn't ya pull the bikes on sideways and have room for them an enclosed is nice but the ease of loading and unloading and securing on an open trailer is way nicer then an enclosed unit but basicly just think about it would having stuff shut up inside be nicer then the ease off loading and versatility of an open trailer your call

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
They do make some really tall enclosed race car trailers that would allow you to fit the jeep with the big wheels I would think, but the weight and wind resistance might be more than the IDI could handle.

good luck and have fun

There are many of us hauling large/UNaerodynamic trailers just fine. No worries with weight or wind resistance. If she won't keep her speed easily with our large/heavy horse trailer, I just back out of the throttle a tad and keep her at 65mph instead of pushing at 70-75.

Mike

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldnt be doin 75 towin a trailer with a SRW F-250 anyway. I think an enclosed would be your best bet. It doesnt take that long to take tires off especially if you have a compressor on board with an impact gun. That way you have all the tools you need and its all locked up.

Chris

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I used to tow an 18' v-nose 7' long, 6.5' tall tandem axle trailer when I was racing vintage bikes. It had a ramp in back, and an A/C-heating unit. When the paddock was hot and nasty, it was very, very popular--I could sleep although my buddies grumbled about the generator--unless they were also plugged up to it. It also had a shore line for when local power was available. I towed it with a 4WD V8 Tundra before I got my IDI back from my son. The poor thing worked pretty hard--would tow all day at 75-80, but got 8 MPG doing it :eek: Tranny was frantic with downshifts and unlocking when in the mountains, too.

Being enclosed is the way to go, particularly if you can run the impact. You can't go wider than 8', and the wheel wells intrude, so won't you need to go with the donuts anyway depending upon your axle/wheel/tire combo? Spring bars will help stabilize the rig against big truck blast/suction even if your rear end doesn't need the help. As has been previously offered, don't overload the front. Your IDI should haul your jeep and toys with no problems.

I'd go with the 24 footer--don't have to build a new driveway, either.... :D

Good luck!

Last edited:

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this question over at a local Jeepers board and found about the same results.
70% say open 5th wheel
25% say enclosed 24 ft
5 % say 18 foot flat

I am thinking that for $1500 I will buy the open 5th wheel because I think it is a smokin deal and use it while I look for an enclosed 5th wheel with a sprint car roof line (raised an extra 6" at the rear for the big wing to clear).

I cant help liking the idea of having all my extra tools locked down with an aircompressor and generator waiting for any breakage that could happen. I also like the idea that I could leave my Jeep and dirtbikes on the trailer if I want to and just store them in there until the next trip. I dont have a garage currently so the enclosed (while confined) would also serve as a nice workshop if need be during a rainstorm.

If I could find a gooseneck or 5th wheel 24-28 foot enclosed for the right price :draw it would be gawnnnn.

Keep the opinions coming I am interested in all sides of this question.
Thanks,
Eric

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
How about going with the 5er then building wooden sides with bows and a tarp for the roof just like the big trucks have. You could make the sides tall enough to suite you needs.