IDI towing opinions needed

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Do you mean 5th wheel or Goose neck? 5th wheels can be a pain like Mel said in uneven terrain and hooking back up if not pefectly level can cause quit the problems

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be telling a lie if I told you I knew for sure. ;Really
I have a ball under my flatbed for the goose so even if it were a 5th wheel I had planned on installing a conversion to it so I could run the goose. I see they are selling on the bay for about $250 bones. I guess that would put the trailer to the $1750 dollar mark if it is really a 5th wheel.

I would allways be hooking it up on even terrain but I hate how those 5th wheel hitches take up the whole bed. I am way too lazy to pull that thing off every time I get done towing something. I would end up riding around with it until I needed to haul something small & flat like plywood and then I would cuss myself for not removing the hitch like I should have. LOL

Thanks, Eric

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is max towable weight of the 7.3 IDI?

Anybody know if I can tow a 36 foot gooseneck enclosed trailer behind my IDI for an extended period of time at highway speeds or will she overheat on me?
With lets say 5xxx lbs in the trailer and the trailer weighing in at 32xx lbs empty. 8000-8700 payload + 7500 lb truck

Or better yet how much can I tow for extended periods at 65 mph.
I say 65 because in Missouri where I frequently go wheeling there is a good stretch of 70 mph zone and I dont wanna get run over. :D
There will be some hills also. These are not rockies for sure but enough to slow me down a bit last trip out there (before stick shift conversion).

Just a thought. I have found several of the longer trailers just above my price range but much better equiped for the money.

Call me crazy if I am.
Thanks, Eric

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
912504x4 said:
Anybody know if I can tow a 36 foot goose neck enclosed trailer behind my IDI for an extended period of time at highway speeds or will she overheat on me?
With lets say 5xxx lbs in the trailer and the trailer weighing in at 32xx lbs empty. 8000-8700 payload + 7500 lb truck

Or better yet how much can I tow for extended periods at 65 mph.
I say 65 because in Missouri where I frequently go wheeling there is a good stretch of 70 mph zone and I don't wanna get run over. :D
There will be some hills also. These are not rockies for sure but enough to slow me down a bit last trip out there (before stick shift conversion).

Just a thought. I have found several of the longer trailers just above my price range but much better equiped for the money.

Call me crazy if I am.
Thanks, Eric

I have a 30' 5er camper and my son lives in Kansas, I travel I-70 in Missouri from St Louis to Kansas City when I go back there pulling my trailer and run 60 to 65 and nobody runs over me. I even am able to pass some people out there, not many but a few. I feel I have the right to run 60 to 65 as I am above the min speed limit and the faster traffic needs to watch for slower traffic, I'm not the only slower one out there.

As for your trailer I would go with the 5er and put a converter on it for goose neck and enclose the part over the neck for tools, gen set and compressor. I like the weight transfer on that type of a trailer rather than a bumper pull. I never have liked the idea of the weight transfer setup as it really puts a strain on things on uneven ground. I'm just not a big fan of pull-be-hinds.......... Jim

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I'm with Lucky here. I tow a 33' 5'er that weighs in at ~ 12000# wet. Highway speeds run 60-70 with no overheating problems. I'm running NA rite now so the long hills suck towing that much weight. Turbo to come soon!

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am for the 5th wheel with goose neck adapter and enclose,at least part of it, yourself. Second choice would be the one with AC.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have a 28' enclosed for my race car, but the trailer dealers wont take my 75 chevy plow truck for trade cookoo I guess I'll just keep pullin it around on my 16' flat bed. I cant complain, right now I cant even tell its back there :D I pulled my dads 29' 5ver up to the lake for a weekend last summer with no problems, just took a littler longer to get up to speed. Since then I've upped the boost, maxed the fuel and added a cowl air intake, this summer it should tow real nice :D

aaklingler

Reaction score
I'm a 5th wheel, gooseneck fan, but I think the price is a little high on the one you found depending on how much work it needs. My second choice would be the 24' enclosed, i see no reason for anything longer, you can get anything you want put in a 24', anything bigger is going to be more expensive and it's going to be harder to pull. 9000lb is nothing for these trucks.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
I'm with Lucky here. I tow a 33' 5'er that weighs in at ~ 12000# wet. Highway speeds run 60-70 with no overheating problems. I'm running NA rite now so the long hills suck towing that much weight. Turbo to come soon!

I wanna know how you're pulling that much weight so faast with no turbo.

I'm running a turbo and I can only now cruise at 70-80 with 10,000 pounds in tow (30' horse trailer). Little hills don't seem to matter, but big'uns will slow the truck way down with that load. Turbo'd, new pump, new injectors.

Maybe I should just rebuild the engine??

When the truck was N/A... I had to draft semis to go 65.

Mike

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

I'm running a turbo and I can only now cruise at 70-80 with 10,000 pounds in tow (30' horse trailer). Little hills don't seem to matter, but big'uns will slow the truck way down with that load. Turbo'd, new pump, new injectors.

Mike

I am the first to admit when it comes to the hows and whys, you are better off asking one of my horses why my truck does what it does. You'd get a straighter answer anyhow lol That said- my truck has a turbo and I have hauled a 30 foot featherlite loaded with 10 good size stock horses and kept up with the flow of traffic. Going uphill slowed me down some, but not below the 45-50 range, where I'd get passed for sure but I didn't feel like I needed to pull into the emergency lane and creep up the hill lol And this was thru the foothills in TN, so I hit some hills.... on the straights tho I'd run about 65-75 depending, and had no problems maintaining that.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

Mike

Hey Mike, I tow my 30' at those speeds and have at one point in time ran 80 mph. 99% of the time I run between 55 to 65 and not had an issue with over heating. The only time I did have a heating issue was when I was trying to run 80 with my trailer and I backed down to 70 and she cooled down. Oh and I don't have a turbo and my pump is set to pretty much stock. I have 4:10 gears and a 5 speed manual trany. BTW I use to drive semi's over the road for over 30 years and having people draft me make me real nervious and I would slow down to about 45 to 50 to get them to pass me. It is so dangerious to draft a semi as you can not see what is up front. Now I am gonna hear people say "well I only did it out on the open road", how many wrecks have you seen out in the open road, bunches I bet.
Please people don't draft a semi for your own safty. they can stop pretty good and by the time you see the brake lights and react you are almost into their trailer bumper............. Jim

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

Mike

When I'm on the road towing I drive and don't sightsee. I try to drive ahead where I can see road conditions and problems. I'm not shy about running 2800-3000 rpm when necessary, the truck can tow easier at ~2000rpm/~60 mph, but the extra speed is necessary to get over hills without holding up traffic behind me. My truck has done real good for what it is, but it is time to make it better.

BTW, look at my sig. Im 2wd, stock tires, 4.10 etc. Only mod done to truck is a custom air intake I built many years ago. Quite a bit of difference from the 4wd, bigger tire models some folks tow with.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
When I'm on the road towing I drive and don't sightsee. I try to drive ahead where I can see road conditions and problems. I'm not shy about running 2800-3000 rpm when necessary, the truck can tow easier at ~2000rpm/~60 mph, but the extra speed is necessary to get over hills without holding up traffic behind me. My truck has done real good for what it is, but it is time to make it better.

BTW, look at my sig. Im 2wd, stock tires, 4.10 etc. Only mod done to truck is a custom air intake I built many years ago. Quite a bit of difference from the 4wd, bigger tire models some folks tow with.

I wasn't really drafting... just being about 4-5 seconds behind them made all the difference in the world.

Still, that's pulling really well for a truck with no turbo. I'll have to have mine checked out after we get to SC... compression test time.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I personally like a goose neck. I can tow on uneven ground better weight transfer,MUCH SAFER.

Attachments

• Doubles.jpg
    Doubles.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online