IDI Torque Screw Adjustment

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've messed with this "torque screw" and only found it to be a waste of time really..... couldn't tell a difference even in the smallest part other than it changed my idle setting.....

Me too, yeah it seemed to make a little more smoke but I didn't notice any more power.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
i've messed with this "torque screw" and only found it to be a waste of time really..... couldn't tell a difference even in the smallest part other than it changed my idle setting.....

With a factory turbo truck it would've been set at full torque fuel already.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive seen more than one turbo pump that need the screw backed out for full fuel.

hotrod01

Reaction score
I have an 86 with the 6.9idi and i had to reset everything on the pump. i was using 1/4 tank to go 30 miles and very little power. i turned the torque screw in 1/4 turn and my fuel mileage went up and i had more power. so i turned the other screw up 1/4 turn and also the torque screw up to match it and i makes a hell of a difference. by turning up i mean turning the screw in, maybe it backwards on the older ones.

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I messed with the screw above the fuel lines which is at a 90* angle to the pump. It looks similar to your guys' torque screw except for the angle. It ended up dropping my idle way down to almost 500rpm when i screwed it out and my cold idle kick up stopped coming on.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I messed with the screw above the fuel lines which is at a 90* angle to the pump. It looks similar to your guys' torque screw except for the angle. It ended up dropping my idle way down to almost 500rpm when i screwed it out and my cold idle kick up stopped coming on.

Memo to self...leave white plastic on this screw and forget it is even there! LOL

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made the adjustment. WOW!!!!!!! The fuel was already turned up by the PO (I know this for sure since I easily pushed 10 psi and 1000 egts under load) but this made a huge difference. I used to floor it in 5th gear and would hit 8 psi max if I wasn't pulling my trailer. Did this after the adjustment and hit 10 psi no problem no flat ground. EGT's were about the same with no smoke!!!!! Screw was flush and backed it out about 1/8"- 3/16". Anyone recomend going any further?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So...what is the difference between this screw and the other one?

SWS

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It moves the fuel curve down into the lower rpm's. I have much better throttle response and get up and go!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Shouldn't affect the governed rpm.

I've read it limits excess fuel at low rpm, and I've read it limits excess fuel at higher rpms.:dunno

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
it DEFINITLY affects fuel at the lower RPM band. IIRC someone said that it is defeated by 1100 RPM, but if I turn it out 3/16" of an inch, the smoke is unbearable right up to about 3000RPM.

I KNOW it pulls better with some adjustment, nothing serious, but it does give a little more power!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I still call placebo on most of the gains. You see that big cloud of smoke, and You get an instant *****. (ahh to be 16 again) It effects Your perception.
If it's adjusted correctly You should get decent acceleration, and not a ton of smoke.

Again, Your best gains will be with just a small smoke trail, at full throttle. that big cloud of smoke does no one any good. It's unburned fuel. It robs performance, raises EGT's, and lowers fuel economy. Not to mention the impression it leaves on fellow motorists.

In these days with the Greenies in charge, and the whole 'Climate Change' deal. We should be thankful that they haven't outlawed these older diesels. You KNOW that the peeps that are running around with poorly adjusted fuel pumps are going to effect the whole diesel community. These Greenies remember one idiot blowing a ********* cloud a lot more than the hundreds of thousands of peeps that are tuned properly.

If Your going to run around 'Rolling Coal'. Just remember, when they bend Us over and force DPF's on older diesels, Don't whine about it! It all came from the irresponsible tuning of a few.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of rolling coal....LMAO
Well I adjusted mine today in small increments. I noticed a bit more power as before I couldn't do a brake stand with my 39s and it did it after. I'm hoping I didn't take it too far. I barely adjusted it. I don't really see any smoke. Until I get an EGT gauge though I'm not going to mess with it anymore.