IDI Torque Screw Adjustment

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hi, my name's Chris....and I'm an alcoholic...

....but seriously....

FIRST!

DO NOT drive around burying arseholes in smoke, although they may deserve it! I like to think of IDI owners as the pride of the diesel world. The last of the full mechanical Ford trucks and the pride of International engines. We are known for long lasting, tough trucks if maintained properly!

SECOND.

I do NOT take responsibility for anyone that burns holes intheir pistons, cracks blocks/heads, blows head gaskets or otherwise destroys an engine! This is at your own risk, and it is a risk!!

The torque screw is located in the picture below. My finger is on the actual screw in the second picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

To deliver more fuel, the screw has to be threaded OUT of the pump, then secured by the jam nut.

Video

In the video, my screw is allowing more fuel into the engine..this is AS FAR as you want to have the screw out on a N/A motor.

My screw is currently returned to the factory setting....flush with the jam nut.

Make DAMN sure you have a Pyro, OR you can handle this responsibly. This is not somethign you can hold WIDE open while climbing hills...if you like your truck anyways.

I turned my truck up specifically for a burnout competition (which I didn't do too badly in lol) and that's about it. It's too ******* the engine to run around with this screw turned up.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i honestly love an instructional video that has the line "don't get any crap in there" cuz then you know you a watching someone who has done it lol
good stuff. Make much difference in how she drives or just lots of smoke?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i honestly love an instructional video that has the line "don't get any crap in there" cuz then you know you a watching someone who has done it lol
good stuff. Make much difference in how she drives or just lots of smoke?

Honnestly I can say it DOES rip through the gears faster...and it smokes A LOT!!

Before I could get SOME tirespin out of a WOT start, which wasn't bad (see Video), but with the screw backed out a little less than 1/4"...it will litterally spin right through first gear and snap into second (all without moving 5 feet) and then depending if I hold into it or not, it will spin 15 - 20 feet in second gear. Sometime I get the nerve up again, I will make a video of it, but I am sure it creates a PILE of high EGT's!

I know you are all thinking "sure, spin right through first gear", but I will make a video to back it up. This is without brake standing it Either!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol just checked and wish i had that screw. Stupid 1987 IP ;) I can't complain my engine is all original and running like a champ. 327k and counting.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
lol just checked and wish i had that screw. .
If you don't have the screw it's the same as having the screw backed out all the way or full torque fuel.

it will litterally spin right through first gear and snap into second (all without moving 5 feet) and then depending if I hold into it or not, it will spin 15 - 20 feet in second gear.
I believe you, mine will do it in first with 35s until it shifts. I still need to do a couple 0-60 runs with a little finness and see what I get.

You should see what the 525 HP N14 does at 1100 RPM lol :sly
I remember the first time driving one like that standing on the throttle at 1800 rpm thinking "why won't this damn thing go any faster in first gear"LOL

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the screw it's the same as having the screw backed out all the way or full torque fuel.

I believe you, mine will do it in first with 35s until it shifts. I still need to do a couple 0-60 runs with a little finness and see what I get.

I remember the first time driving one like that standing on the throttle at 1800 rpm thinking "why won't this damn thing go any faster in first gear"LOL

no i meant that my injection pump is an older model that never had that screw in the position described by GE.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I thought this debate would come up. I am not 100% sure if the older pumps will deliver the same amount of fuel as a 1992.5 and up pump.

This will be a question that will require further research, and more expirence.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to test it out, but as i said i would have to find the equivelant screw (if there is one) on the older model IP's. otherwise i might just have tto turn up the "regular" fuel screw again. lol

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar screw right above where the injector lines come out, but its at a 90* angle. Is this the same deal or something different?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
no i meant that my injection pump is an older model that never had that screw in the position described by GE.

Exactly.

Your pump has the same setting as if it had the screw backed out all the way on a 92.5-94.

That screw is a limiting device, not an adding device, so without it there is no limiting affect.

I can't see the sigs right now but IIRC GE has his pump fuel screw turned up.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have a similar screw right above where the injector lines come out, but its at a 90* angle. Is this the same deal or something different?

No, that is a different screw. I asked the same question in another thread. Apparently my truck had the IP replaced with a rebuilt unit from an older truck so I no longer have this torque screw. -cuss

sootman73

Reaction score
i've messed with this "torque screw" and only found it to be a waste of time really..... couldn't tell a difference even in the smallest part other than it changed my idle setting.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online