IDI to Powerstroke

sak778

Reaction score
Nice progress so far. I will be doing this swap for myself in the near future. I have my wrecked 97exc 2wd dually and my 92 cc 4wd. any tips or hints would be much appreciated. For instance, are ya'll swapping the valvebodies in the transmissions or how are you dealing with that issue? What about the converter? Did you just use the one out of the donor pstroke or will the IDI one work? Sean

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Nice progress so far. I will be doing this swap for myself in the near future. I have my wrecked 97exc 2wd dually and my 92 cc 4wd. any tips or hints would be much appreciated. For instance, are ya'll swapping the valvebodies in the transmissions or how are you dealing with that issue? What about the converter? Did you just use the one out of the donor pstroke or will the IDI one work? Sean

IDI uses a four stud converter. It will not work with a PSD. PSD uses a six stud converter.

The valve body can stay. No need to play with that.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As above, the TC was changed out for a 6 bolt, the trans was built last year. A call to the same trans shop got a reasonable price on another converter. The PS has a bad trans and there was no way we where putting that TC in a new trans.
Learned today the PS plug and IDI trans plug needs to be repined. The plug is the same but the computer uses them in a different pattern. The IDI trans wiring was used but I believe everything else is PS wiring, believe he said the rear wiring was changed out too.
With the wiring, the cargo light on an IDI and 3rd brake light on a PS are the same, so the cargo light comes on with the brakes. One of the small things to change.

From what I've learned, there is very little that is the same between an IDI and PS but it's mostly a boltin task if you want to take the time, and a lot of it, to do the swap.

And as of today the truck will probably be driving around. The bed was back on and they were putting the hood on, we were coming back from the rainy pumpkin patch with the kids, wife was cold, and there was no way I was able to stay.

sak778

Reaction score
Now that you mention it The 4 and 6 stud converters do ring a bell. I have less than 5,000 miles on rebuilding the trans in my idi and less than 50,000 on my ps. Both by the same shop. Would you happen to be able to send me the pin out of the wiring changes if you have them handy? If not i, will be abel to figure them out just add that to my list of research. Atleast my truck is still driveable so I can plan ahead and not have to rush to get this done.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have the pins. The trans light started flashing when he ran it longer than just starting it, that is what started the search. Think he just looked at the wiring diagrams but don't remember which shop program they use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist