IDI timing

Codyp86

Reaction score
hey guys. New here and I was wondering if it is mandatory to get the motor at TDC when re timing. If so how is that done?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on what you are doing but to get to TDC line up timing marks on front crankshaft pulley and pointer on front cover.

Codyp86

Reaction score
Thanks randy. I am re timing the IP. The person I bought this truck from had some work done and they didn’t do it properly. This is where I’m at currently (see photo)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codyp86

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I just got back in from aligning the gears. If that’s all that I have to then I assume I can start going back together with it. Correct?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being you have the front cover off, I would have the gears all lined up then carefully put the front cover on then the pump gear cover then pump. Use like gasket maker silicone for the pump gear cover. Just make sure you don't lift the pump gear up off the timing gear while putting things back together.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I do this, I usually install the IP housing first just to be absolutely sure that the Y's are still lined up. Once that's on they can't come out of alignment. You have to slide the front engine cover up into the gear housing and then slip the bottom into place above the oil pan. It's a litle bit trickier to do, but like I said, you'll be guaranteed that the gears are lined up right.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do this, I usually install the IP housing first just to be absolutely sure that the Y's are still lined up. Once that's on they can't come out of alignment. You have to slide the front engine cover up into the gear housing and then slip the bottom into place above the oil pan. It's a litle bit trickier to do, but like I said, you'll be guaranteed that the gears are lined up right.
I was thinking with the oil pan on it might be a little easier with the IP housing not on, could also put it on and not tighten down until front cover is on.

Codyp86

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips y’all. I will post some pics throughout the process.

Codyp86

Reaction score
I’m also going to be changing the front main seal so if you have any tips on doing that, they would be helpful. I have been looking for the seal puller but I can’t find it anywhere.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need a seal puller they will just tap out. Also when installing just lay the cover on a flat surface and tap seal in, use like a piece of metal large enough to cover the seal, that way you have more control of tapping it in straight.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't need a seal puller they will just tap out. Also when installing just lay the cover on a flat surface and tap seal in, use like a piece of metal large enough to cover the seal, that way you have more control of tapping it in straight.
Correct. This is the best time to change it since you have the front cover off.
I was thinking with the oil pan on it might be a little easier with the IP housing not on,
It probably is a little bit easier this way, but I don't take any chances with my gear timing. It's not really very difficult to use my method. There are two small alignment dowels in the front of the block to hold the cover in place. I've actually never installed the gear housing with the front cover on. Again, maybe I'm being a little bit OCD about the gear timing, but it makes me feel better if I can see that the marks are all aligned when the gear housing is on and the pump gear can't come out of alignment. Here's a comparison. It's really not much different than installing a new rear main seal without removing the oil pan. Just remove the cover, remove old seal, clean everything up, install new seal, and then install cover.

Codyp86

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Trust me I’m taking my time and making sure this is done correctly. Not saying it was a pita but let’s be honest [emoji23]

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not saying it was a pita but let’s be honest
You must be registered for see images attach
If it was that easy to do, the Ford dealerships would have lost a lot of money. Of course, since I'm one of those guys who've worked on many of these engines, what seems intimidating to someone fairly new to these probably isn't to me. I've installed dozens of these front covers both in the truck and out, so I don't think it's very hard at all. That's just me though. Electronics? Definitely not my thing there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online