IDI Population

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Does anybody know or read how many IDI's were produced and actually are still on the road today? It's probably an impossible estimation, but anybody got any idea? Let's take it a step further and include strokes up to '97. I'm just guessing that we here at OB are a small percentage of the total number of '83-'97 trucks out there.

Tom

olivera149

Reaction score
i do see alot of ol IDIs up here in alaska, but only very few on forums. Many construction and utility companies still use these trucks up here too.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well for the record, I have NEVER seen another IDI van. I think I saw one sitting in a parking lot once because it has 92 tail light and had a ********* smoke trail up the side of the van from the exhaust pipe. Was either an IDI or a really crappy gasser. Other than that, I have only ever seen powerstroke vans.

I have probably seen a total of 10-15 other IDI pickups my whole life. I'm always looking too and rolling my windows down to listen to trucks. So.. not very many, at least around here i'd say.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a IDI van. It sorta runs. I think I've seen another IDI van driving around where I live that looks to be about the same year as mine. Generally, yeah, very few vans out that that I've seen.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I've seen 3 IDI vans including one ambulance. Problably seen more than 3 as ambulances) I know of 4 other IDI running around locally. Most of the new stuff is PSD

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a toll booth operator here tell me he had never seen a diesel van. I had to laugh, I was one exit away from the Lorain Assembly plant that (made) the vans.

My guess is that we see fewer IDI's than PowerStroke because the IDI had the 300 I6 for competition for durability and economy. Once the I6 was gone, the only choice for durability was the diesel.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't really hold water, the 300 was around until 96.
There are LOTS of IDI's around, probably depends more on your area, but, they are hardly rare in a Ford app... Now, a S-Series IH with an IDI other than a school bus, that's not all that common...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
At my high school we have some guy that works for the school (I have no idea what he does) but he drives an IDI van around.

In my town (3500 people) I can count 3 IDI's including my own. Around Salem there is alot, in the Oregonian (The biggest newspaper on Oregon) I usually see 4 or more IDI's for sale.

I would take a IDI over a 300 I6 any day.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford still likes to say "Americas best selling pickup for 28 years" or something close to that. The IDI's and trucks of our vintage were what got America hooked. I'd venture to guess that more IDI's were sold back in the day than any truck to date at that point. I remember when I first got mine, that I didn't see many on the road. Then the popularity exploded and by 85 or 86, just about every pickup on the road was a Ford, and most were diesel. You didn't see an Ambulance, Utility truck, Tow truck, Roll Back, Landscape truck, etc, that wasn't an IDI. I don't have numbers, but I'd be sure there was at least a million of them.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
olivera149 said:
i do see alot of ol IDIs up here in alaska, but only very few on forums. Many construction and utility companies still use these trucks up here too.

Well I can show you three of them at my home in Anchorage. They all start and run great in just about any weather. I also would like to see more Alaska folks on these forums. These trucks are great for up here because of where you might take them. I can't see taking a $45,000 truck down some of the roads/trails that I have had mine down.

akoldnav

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Maybe a little different around here, but there are plenty of IDI equipped vans. Have a few customers at the shop who have them (one an ambulance). Also in med duty trucks! Lots of 6.5 GMs too. Maybe this is IDI country. Did I mention I own a 350 diesel? I bought it locally, too ;Sweet
James

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
highest_vision said:
Maybe a little different around here, but there are plenty of IDI equipped vans. Have a few customers at the shop who have them (one an ambulance). Also in med duty trucks! Lots of 6.5 GMs too. Maybe this is IDI country. Did I mention I own a 350 diesel? I bought it locally, too ;Sweet
James

You mean there is a 5.7 diesel that still runs!I thought they were extinct!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online

No members online now.