IDI pistons & Turbo IDI pistons What's the difference

rustnsuch

Reaction score
I assume the turbo pistons are lower compression. Is there any difference in the height of the pistons? What about wrist pin diameter?:dunno

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the turbo pistons did use bigger wrist pins, and the tops were hard anodized. Otherwise I don't think there's any difference, even in the compression ratio.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Turbo pistons some times have a coating on the crown for heat but not always(aftermarket).The wrist pin is 30MM on non 33MM on turbo.Compression is the same stock.You can get lowered crown pistons.They are not true lower compresion though.They are made for engines that have been decked.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
what about the crank shafts are they the same or are they a stonger version? a few years back I was talking to a supposed diesel mechanic and he said he added a turbo to a stock idi and it blew the bottom end out becasuse the cranks weren't stong enough, I didn't believe him then nor now but I have always wondered if there were a difference.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about the crank shafts are they the same or are they a stonger version? a few years back I was talking to a supposed diesel mechanic and he said he added a turbo to a stock idi and it blew the bottom end out becasuse the cranks weren't stong enough, I didn't believe him then nor now but I have always wondered if there were a difference.

Nope, they are the same.... 6.9, 7.3 N/A, and 7.3 Factory Turbo.... all use the same crankshaft.

Heath

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hee hee hee,that mechanic either did something stupid,had an already ***** engine,or is NOT telling the truth.As travis about turbos...then again,ask me about turbos but I don't fit cause I had a factory turbo engine.....it held up to 20+PSI.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
that's what I thought but glad to know it for sure, thanks guys! that company was or is called divine and cruise diesel they also told me that due to the blow by coming out of my oil filler neck that my engine needed to be rebuilt that was 70 - 80 k miles ago and now at 230k I had a compession test done 10k ago with the lowest piston being 385 psi and the highest being about 20 -25 above ( would have to re-check the paper for sure ) of course a different company ran the comp test not devine and cruise which by the way is who the international dealership tell all the truck owners to go to!