IDI newb

BRShirk

Reaction score
I just bought a 91 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 IDI non turbo with a 5sp.

Head gasket are really the main issue. I've done head gaskets on a 6.2 Chevy diesel. Are there any tricks or things I should look out for.

The next issue is wiring. Someone definitely had some interesting theories on this so I figured I'd replace the whole thing. Are there any suppliers or sources that don't think their wires are made from gold?

What's the best repair manual for the F250 and 7.3 engine?

I'll probably have a lot more stupid questions later.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never done head gaskets on one of these engines.

On the wiring, non one makes the harness for one of these trucks. You will have to go to a junkyard and get one out of a used truck, or repair your own harness. I would not use one of those universal harnesses.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What makes you think that the head gaskets need to be replaced? If they do, and you're going to replace both of them, I recommend pulling the engine out. It's hard to do one without pulling the engine. Both is almost insane to me.

BRShirk

Reaction score
It's losing coolant that's being blown out the exhaust. The upper radiator hose is hard.

Stupid autocorrect cut of the "s" for gaskets.

Pulling the engine would make it easier. I don't think my cherry picker will handle the 7.3. I bought it with a SBC in mind for a street rod project.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What harness do you need? I have two or three complete engine wiring harnesses.

BRShirk

Reaction score
Besides glow plugs and possibly injectors, what else would be good general maintenance items to change out while the heads are off?

Is the IP as big a monster to do as it is on a 6.2?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me look through my harness box and see what I have and I’ll pm you some more info. The ip is not a hard job at all, just pull the whole assembly out of the gear cover not vice versa. I’d change filters out and replace oil filter with fl1995 motorcraft filter. Check the condition of your battery cables

BRShirk

Reaction score
Battery cables are definitely on the list. There's about 4 or 5 battery gauge cable strapped the solenoid.

When I get it home from TN this weekend I'll get some pix of the spaghetti monster of a wiring harness. I'll probably start with the engine and dash harnesses. Since it appears a common problem for a starting issue in the key wiring I'm planning on a push button start. I'm also planning a push button for the glow plugs.

The body wiring will probably be ok.

Looks like I'm going to be doing a whole heck of a lot of wiring work. Much more than I everr wanted. Ok anything more than a stereo or for lights is more wiring than I want to do...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin