idi N/A to idi turbo ?

led sled

Reaction score
i know there are already threads about this but im in a hurry so no time to look for them. ok i am going to go get a turbo setup for my idi n/a on saturday. im driving 2 and a half hours so i want to know what all i need from the idi turbo motor. he pulled the motor out to do a powerstroke swap. so the motor is sitting on the shop floor waiting to be stripped. would someone please tell me EVERYTHING i need from the turbo motor to put it on my idi motor. thanks guys o both motors are 94 7.3 idi one n/a one turbo thanks again fellas

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
STOP.... You have posted that both engines are from a 2004 idi 7.3.... Thats not correct. 1994 was the last idi engine and it could be turbo or not. There are many 7.3 engines both turbo idi and powerstrokes. No powerstroke engine turbos or parts will fit the idi engine.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
you will need all the piping from the manifolds to the turbo, would be a good idea to get the downpipe leading into the exhaust if possible, You will also need all of the intake piping and the turbo pedistal, intake box, basically I would take anything that you see absent on your na

I have attatched a parts list and installation directions hope this helps.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turbo/ turbo pedistal gromments needed you cant really find them if its an stock 94 turbo the down pipe which will not work if your tranys not the same expet i believe could be wrong bt the zf5 down pipe is enterchangable but dont hold me to it the more knowlodgable will chim in

led sled

Reaction score
thanks for the info and diagram redneck, very helpful, the donor motor is about 2 1/2 hours away so hopefully i will be able to grab everything in the first trip. my gauges wont be in til next week so im guessing to do 2 flat on the ip to be safe?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i know there are already threads about this but im in a hurry so no time to look for them. ok i am going to go get a turbo setup for my idi n/a on saturday. im driving 2 and a half hours so i want to know what all i need from the idi turbo motor. he pulled the motor out to do a powerstroke swap. so the motor is sitting on the shop floor waiting to be stripped. would someone please tell me EVERYTHING i need from the turbo motor to put it on my idi motor. thanks guys o both motors are 94 7.3 idi one n/a one turbo thanks again fellas

u posted this at 6:12pm thursday and ur leaving saturday...but in a hurry and dont have time to search? Have u been spoon fed all ur life? Or just lazy? a quick 15 minute search would yield the answers u want.

My answer: I would pick up the whole engine if it was possible. No reason to worry about missing parts and have a visual aid.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Why don't you get the whole engine and 2.5 hrs in what direction? North would put you pretty cleso to me or our Pa. residents. You could get some good help possibly. Don't forget the drivers side valve cover. You will need it to relocate the CDR. I would try to get at least the oil cooler, injection system, especially the lines, starter, vacuum pump, oil pan, and any other simple stuff. The engine gp harness is also good to have if in good shape. Gary may be able to chime in, he knows axactly what spare parts fit behind the seat.:eek::rotflmao

led sled

Reaction score
u posted this at 6:12pm thursday and ur leaving saturday...but in a hurry and dont have time to search? Have u been spoon fed all ur life? Or just lazy? a quick 15 minute search would yield the answers u want.

My answer: I would pick up the whole engine if it was possible. No reason to worry about missing parts and have a visual aid.
NO im a cop working swing shift with a short handed department meaning 18 hour days, ASS and have two 2 1/2 year boys and can only be one here about 5 mins at a time. thank you. people like you are what run forums down.

led sled

Reaction score
Why don't you get the whole engine and 2.5 hrs in what direction? North would put you pretty cleso to me or our Pa. residents. You could get some good help possibly. Don't forget the drivers side valve cover. You will need it to relocate the CDR. I would try to get at least the oil cooler, injection system, especially the lines, starter, vacuum pump, oil pan, and any other simple stuff. The engine gp harness is also good to have if in good shape. Gary may be able to chime in, he knows axactly what spare parts fit behind the seat.:eek::rotflmao

im going to Coatesville PA

oleblue85

Reaction score
Get everything you can. I just picked up the same turbo set-up and am missing parts. I took my 2 1/2 year old son with me when I got mine. I know what you are saying. The guy I bought it from got the truck in pieces hence why stuff was gone. Good luck finding something if you don't have it. Take it all!!!!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
NO im a cop working swing shift with a short handed department meaning 18 hour days, ASS and have two 2 1/2 year boys and can only be one here about 5 mins at a time. thank you. people like you are what run forums down.

Cop or not, time constrained or not, you're a 12 post noob that just called a long time member in good standing an ASS. This does not serve in any way to endear your to others in this forum. The way you speak to a snotty 17 year old that you just popped for 75 in a 55 just does not cut it in here. The 25 thanks he has under his avatar have been earned only since the change to the new look of this board, prior to the reset he had hundreds. It is entirely possible that some members here will still help you, it is also entirely likely that a great many others, who are in possesion of knowledge that you oh-so-obviously are in need of, will not. In here, you're not a cop, you're just another guy with a diesel Ford and perhaps a potential brother. So drop the attitude and show some grattitude- no one here gets shown deference if they demand it.;Really Welcome to the forum, and be careful out there.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hope you get all you need off the engine. The simplest way to get everything is bag and tag all the parts, nuts and bolts you remove. Then its easy to assemble on your engine. I just struggled with an F23 4 cylinder engine in and out of my 98 Accord. I didn't bag and tab and sure got confused about what bolt went where. So I di the parts I knew and finally got down to the few leftover pocket parts. Even then I had some nuts and bolts left over. Use your cell phone to take pics before you remove something. Then refer to them as a book of instructions. When its all done just delete the pics. Sure beats spending time and money on a book reading when time is a precious comodity.