IDI lightens its load

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well, due to a growing family, the Blizzard can no longer be super sized. I sold my slide in camper last week. I'll prolly sit the rest of this camping season out, and pick up a travel trailer next year.

In the mean time, I've fabbed up a tonneau cover with a sheet of black 6x9 vinyl and some plywood. Now I've just gotta install some lifting struts to ease the opening process. I've always wanted a tonneau cover, now that the slide in is gone, I finally can do it. ;Sweet

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Rob- we had a slide-in for seven years and have had our travel trailer for three now and I will never go back to the slide-in camper. Unless you need to tow a boat or horses or a fleet of fourwheelers the trailer is the only way to go. The way we camp we park the trailer and then use the truck to drive to different places on the river to flyfish. Before we had to take my old '78 with the camper on and the wife drove her Jeep Cherokee so we could have some mobility. Now we have two rigs to put fuel in and we can't talk while we drive. Since I got The Hulk, we can all fit in the truck comfortably (even the dog :D ) and my wife doesn't have to drive, we have more room in the trailer and we can enjoy the whole trip together. I can load up the bed of the truck as well as the trailer so we can take more crap to the woods. LOL Plus towing the trailer has been more fun than hauling the camper along. I always hated having the camper on when we were home because I lost my truck and had a motorhome instead. If you need a slide-in, I would see about one of those light weight pop-up campers that are easier to set on the truck. Some guys I know use those for short fishing or hunting trips when the whole family won't be along and only need a place to sleep and store some gear.

You tonneau idea sounds great. Post some pics of that project. I would like to have a lockable tonneau behind the DeeZee tool box I put in this summer. Pace Edwards has their Jack Rabbit tonneau that would be cool but not for $400+. :eek:

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ya, that’s what I'm thinking. Drop the trailer in the spot, and you're still free to roam with the truck. ;Sweet
Plus, with the 4 of us it was just too crowded inside the camper when bad weather struck. :mad:

I'll get some pics up of the tonneau project soon. I figure I may as well wait until get the lifting struts mounted. Maybe this weekend, but prolly next. I hear ya on the price of the store bought ones. Really nice, but I couldn't afford it. Mine will be lockable eventually, but for now it'll just be to keep things dry. :D

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get a full size monster slide in camper. I already have an 18ft trailer in order to pull the Jeep, but I need a big slide in. I want a monster. Something that goes fully over the cab and also has some overhang off the truck. Need enough space for, the wife and Kids on a good weekend. Probably going to be heavy, but that is what I want, hopefully the truck will be up to it. Scotty

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
beretzs said:
I want to get a full size monster slide in camper. I already have an 18ft trailer in order to pull the Jeep, but I need a big slide in. I want a monster. Something that goes fully over the cab and also has some overhang off the truck. Need enough space for, the wife and Kids on a good weekend. Probably going to be heavy, but that is what I want, hopefully the truck will be up to it. Scotty

You can have ours ;Sweet

It's the largest lance camper they made in 97 or 98 i believe. Weights around 4k - 5k lbs. It just sits on the side of our house now. Worked really well until we just never had time to camp.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, if you weren't in friggin Florida, I would take you up on that offer. What are you asking for it? Any pics. It could, maybe, possibly happen if right before I deploy, I decide to head back East. I could just swing down south and pick it up. Scotty

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'll talk with my dad, see what he says, and see if i can get some pictures. It's in need of a good wash. The inside is excellent shape though, outside is good, just dirty. We keep a big dehumidifier on the inside to keep it dry and clean. It's got one of those pure sine wave inverters too. A new more energy efficent A/C, umm.. generx generator i believe. Pretty much decked out.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I want, but us Marines can't afford to buy all them fancy toys all at once. After all I ain't no darn CWO3... SHHEEESSHHH.. I am workin on it though. I will probably try and get one once I get back from Iraq next summer or something. Scotty