idi glow plug controller need help fast please

Davesaylor350

Reaction score
I have a 94 idi turbo my controller took a crap on me a while back so i have replaced it now my problrm is i go to start it first thing in the morning get the full glow cycle and after glow cycle the problem is that when the engine is warm and i shut the truck off and after about 2 hrs i go to start it again and i have no glow plug power i have tried three controllers and checked all glow plugs they are all good i really need some help fast

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you don't have power to them at all now?
Follow the harness to the connection on passenger side of truck by the heater core box. Common place to burn the wires.

Also u could try bumping the two bigger terminals on the relay with a screw driver. That's gotten me home several times.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
So you don't have power to them at all now?
Follow the harness to the connection on passenger side of truck by the heater core box. Common place to burn the wires.

Also u could try bumping the two bigger terminals on the relay with a screw driver. That's gotten me home several times.

Good call on the harness. I bypassed the original pair of wires feeding the gp relay and use a #4 battery cable to feed the system now.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
does the no power issue only happen when the engine is warm?

if you let it sit until the next morning do you get power across the relay and out to the glow plugs?

kievitk

Reaction score
does the no power issue only happen when the engine is warm?

if you let it sit until the next morning do you get power across the relay and out to the glow plugs?

Hey 94idi, if the answer to your question was "yes" what do you know about this? Im having the same problem mentioned as OP. When its cold i have WTS light, if i let it sit for a few hours i have WTS light BUT if i drive it a while then 10-20 mins later try to start. I have nothing, No WTS light and it wont start what so ever.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
If you need to truck to drive somewhere and you dont have any glow plug power at the time you can just give er a shot of ether. lol

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need to truck to drive somewhere and you dont have any glow plug power at the time you can just give er a shot of ether. lol

I had the presence of mind to disconnect power to my controller before doing this. It still makes a painful noise when the engine revs way faster than it should. I wouldn't recommend this become habit.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck does the same thing the glow plugs will work when its cold but wont come on when its hot and it will take alot of crankin and a shot of either to get it goin again. but on my dads 7.3 he has a push butten for the glow plugs he only uses them when its cold, when the trucks warm it will fire right up at the bump of the key even after sittin for an hour or two with no glow plugs. im thinkin bout advaning my timing alittle bit it on mine should help it start

kievitk

Reaction score
my truck does the same thing the glow plugs will work when its cold but wont come on when its hot and it will take alot of crankin and a shot of either to get it goin again. but on my dads 7.3 he has a push butten for the glow plugs he only uses them when its cold, when the trucks warm it will fire right up at the bump of the key even after sittin for an hour or two with no glow plugs. im thinkin bout advaning my timing alittle bit it on mine should help it start

Well I think your on to something, Im not very knowledgeable with all this idi stuff yet but to me it makes sense. I have a 7.3 that used to fire up just fine, hot cold whatever.. I since then replaced the IP with one off a 6.9 and static timed it. It runs and drives but now plenty of problems to go with it. Hard as hell to start when hot and lack of power (by a lot!) Can't say for sure but in my case i think not having done the dynamic timing could have a lot to do with it. I was hoping someone could chime in and throw you a few ideas and i could try them as well and see if doesnt help me also. Idk could just be that other pump i put on wasnt very good to begin with.

Ether or wd40 will get me started but for me its just not too practical. I would rather find a fix and end my headache vs. popping my hood 5 times a day to screw around with starting it. Could remove a lot of stress wondering if im going to get my truck started or just run my batteries down and leave my ass stranded.

kievitk

Reaction score
I know its kinda off topic to your OP, but at the same time if my engine is at normal operating temp and its 80 degrees outside i shouldnt need glowplugs to start my truck. So the weird non starting issue when hot kinda goes hand in hand with my WTS light issue. :dunno

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kievitk,
Possible your "new" IP pump is tired? If you read around in this forum, the recommendation seems to be to pour water on the pump for a hot no-start condition. Details are in many threads.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Hey 94idi, if the answer to your question was "yes" what do you know about this? Im having the same problem mentioned as OP. When its cold i have WTS light, if i let it sit for a few hours i have WTS light BUT if i drive it a while then 10-20 mins later try to start. I have nothing, No WTS light and it wont start what so ever.

if the no WTS light only happens when the engine is warm then the GP system is working as it should. the controller senses threw the glow plugs that the cylinders are hot enough, thus not turning on the glow plugs. your issues sounds more like IP issues than glow plugs.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
My uncle is a profesional diesel Mechanic, and he told me, "you only need glow plugs for the 1st start and no more" I'm gonna put mine on a manual button. Hope this helps :)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My uncle is a profesional diesel Mechanic, and he told me, "you only need glow plugs for the 1st start and no more" I'm gonna put mine on a manual button. Hope this helps :)

depends on the condition of your engine. in this weather i only need to use the plugs in the morning. even after sitting for 10hrs at work i don't need to hit the plugs. mine are on manual button as well. this coming winter will be the first winter with man plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7