IDI conversion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well my loyal work van (1997 e350) is now 245k miles and I'm starting to plan if I will keep it and transplant an IDI or buy an older van with an IDI on it. Now I'd like to put an IDI on it but I don't know if it will be much hassle.

Any input for this?

If I get another one I may get a pick-up with the huge box behind too, but allways with an IDI on it.

Thank you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes I figure I may encounter a similar problem than Mel when through, but the diesel don't take a emissions test here in Maryland.

tractorman86

Reaction score
u know i would look into some motor mounts for like a 92-94 same body and frame and i believe the 7.3 idi was an option, it might not be as much of a hastle after all seeing as how u dont have to do emissions :backoff must be nice!!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yaric008 has a '92 van with an IDI in it from the factory, so that body style has certainly seen the IDI. :)

Engine mounts will be different, and I would suggest finding a van engine if at all possible...there are differences between the van engine and the truck engine (oil cooler, fuel filter setup, and exhaust manifolds come to mind, and there may be more).

There's also the "standard" gas-to-diesel swap issues (fuel stuff, computers, etc) that might make this enough of a headache to warrant just getting a new van.

Just some thoughts...good luck!!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
no, these things are so cheap, just get another one.

I'm taking an engine out of a 97 E350 now - I would not want to do an engine swap on that thing. I was given this engine and trans - these vans are so cheap though.

Did I mention they are cheap?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'd like a utility body van or pick up with the van body but those seem very hard to find.