I screwed up, now no start.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you have not opened the side cover to the pump yet to see if the main shaft is broken. Not much more left to tell you to do.. Might try this. On top of the injection pump is the pump return check valve that the fuel shutoff valve opens so the pump can return fuel. Take that completely off the top of the pump. Its easy to remove because under the fitting at the pump is an o ring. Once thats off crank the engine again. See if fuel comes out of the top of the open pump. If it does you still wont know if the main shaft is broken but you will know fuel is getting thru the pump.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked power at the wire with a test light and voltmeter. I can also hear it clicking when I disconnect and reconnect it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Clicking only tell you the solenoid is working but it wont really verfy the check valve is opening. Remove the check valve and see what happens when the fuel is pumping to the injection pump. When that fitting is removed you can press on the valve and open it too. What I did to check if mine was operating correctly is to remove it and fill the top side with aerokroil. thats a much thinner fluid than diesel. then I let it sit for an hour in the summer sun on a paper towel.. no leaks so I know the check valve eat was working well. If you choose not to do this simple test theres not much more help I can offer besides opening the side cover and cranking the engine to see if you broke the main shaft in the pump.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the check valve, does it thread out from the top? Or does the top of the IP have to come off? With removal of the IP cover, it's just three screws holding it on, correct?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Stop.. The check valve on top of the injection pump unscrews from the top. I clearly explained this once before I believe. Under this check valve is an oring so its and easy removal and the o ring will be fine for reuse. If more information is needed please ask but its tuff to know what your thinking when you ask the same question several times. I like others here can help but you need to listen to whats being offered and not go another direction on this. Also remember to make sure when opening up the pump things are clean. Removing the side cover found on the passenger side of the pump and cranking the engine will tell you if the shaft is broken but clean off the road dirt before cover removal. Any dirt getting in there will kill the pump because there is no filter to catch the dirt. Never attempt to remove the top cover that has 3 bolts holding it down. When you reinstall it and its done wrong a complete engine runaway will happen and nothing but stopping the air or fuel will shut down the engine. It will rev till it blows too because the pump rpm governor is not working in the runaway mode because the shutoff linkage is improperly installed when the top cover goes back on. there is a correct way to install the cover but lets not open that can o worms yet.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only asking about removing the top of the IP because it was mentioned by others in this thread, not a response to you in specific. I haven't taken anything apart yet, just trying to get all the info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. I'm trying to help you avoid a mess by removing the top of the pump unnecessary. If you end up removing the top please ask how its reinstalled correctly

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary did you make a video of any IP work??
That might work good here???:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. I'm no wheres near smart enough to show how to remove the top or the side cover on these pumps. I suppose it could be done when time allows. Might be looking into that idea. Maybe throw in the inlet screen removal and the small forwarding pump in that area too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online