I screwed up, now no start.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's now winter here in South Dakota. I have my truck converted to run on WVO, and with the extreme cold weather, I figured I would "winterize" my WVO system.

So I put a blend of diesel in my WVO tank. Last night, I started the truck up and let it warm up for quite some time, like a half hour. The engine was up to temp as was my Guage for the wvo filter, so I switched over. It ran kinda shaky and sputtery, but I put the throttle down and held at about 2k and it started to get better. It ran for maybe 30 seconds like this when all the sudden it dropped like a rock.

Now, my wvo system is entirely independent of my diesel fuel system until the line going into the ip, that is, the only lace that wvo is now where it shouldn't be is the line into the ip, on to the injectors.

My issue is, I cannot get the thing started again. I am getting fuel flow through the Schrader on the filter head, but I have cracked the injectors and cranked and cannot get fuel at the injectors.

Now you may say, why didn't I crank the injectors last night while I still had hot wvo, well I did, and cranked until the battery was dead, charged it, then cranked some more. I was getting very minimal fuel last night at the injectors.

Now today, none whatsoever.

So, is there a way to get fuel flowing again. I do not have access to a garage right now, otherwise I would have it inside with heaters blowing in it. Will diesel 911 in the fuel filter get pushed to the ip and clear things up?
Thanks for the advice guys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Plug in the block heater and see if you can find a slap on oil pan heater too.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the block heater plugged in all night, it got worse overnight than it was last night. If I got a slap on heater, could I put that directly on the IP?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also note that the temperature here is 0F right now

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be a last resort, problem is I don't have any of that here. I'm a college student so all of that stuff is 250 miles away. We have plenty of propane heaters there, I have none here. :mad:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Is it outside? Is there any way of pulling it into a heated shop for a few hours? Heated shop, plug in the block heater and put the charger on the batteries for a few hours should take the work out of getting it started again. Good luck keep us posted

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the problem, I have no access to a heated shop or even a garage at the moment. Wish I did and will certainly have a garage for next winter.

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I dont have a garage, or anything, mine sits outside. No GPs work. Starts fine with block heater plugged in. But I have a gear reduction starter also. I would just try the electric blanket, block heater, and charge the batteries. You can pick up a cheap blanket at walmart for like 20 bucks. Just take it back after you use it. Put some old sheets down first.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
charge batteries.. block heater.. engine heater.. hair dryer in intake...

electric lift pump to help purge WVO.. foot to the floor when purging.

your in really cold weather for WVO. move to warmer climate or just put #2 in

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
it says you have heated lines and filter, so just heat that girl up. Run all your heaters, put a space heater under it if you have too just be careful. I am sure you can get it to start or at least clear out that wvo with some diesel.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get it to run on diesel, that's my issue. All the heated lines are heated by coolant flow. I need to get the IP heated up to get the wvo out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle