I really hate these trucks at times

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. in 6 months I've replaced 2 lift pumps, injection pump, glow plugs, numerous filters and hoses and guess what? I got another air leak yesterday and lost my fuel prime and had to be towed home. This truck is one breakdown from going to the crusher.

Before you do that I need the bed, and some other stuff.:sly

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned that coolant with water in it is a contaminate and causes blown hoses and wasted money.
I use EVANS coolant and them blown hoses will never happen to me.
Trust me I blew a hose with green coolant and I got pissed the same way.
That MADE me purchase $38 a gallon coolant and be done with coolant issues
Including SCAs and coolant changes, The EVANS needs no change! LIFETIME COOLANT.

I drive my HydroCarbon GOING GREEN, ECO vehicle EVERYDAY!

Javier

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is with the quality of replacement parts, I will probably catch hell for this but , DONT go to azone or oreillys for belts, hoses or pumps. Gates or napa HD fleet is the only way to go, lift pumps, are hard to categorize, carter used to be the best, napa was good, still may be, I have 60k on my napa one and its ok, it was made by carter.

Air leaks and fuel leaks are going to happen on these trucks and unless you take the time to really check and deburr the caps, yes even the ones I sell, there can be trouble.
IDI trucks will run a long time but they dont like to be patched, I know it is tough to afford parts and all that in this economy but just take time and double check everything and it will help.

And remember it is usually something simple that is overlooked that will cause you the most grief.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Part of the problem is with the quality of replacement parts, I will probably catch hell for this but , DONT go to azone or oreillys for belts, hoses or pumps. Gates or napa HD fleet is the only way to go, lift pumps, are hard to categorize, carter used to be the best, napa was good, still may be, I have 60k on my napa one and its ok, it was made by carter.

Air leaks and fuel leaks are going to happen on these trucks and unless you take the time to really check and deburr the caps, yes even the ones I sell, there can be trouble.
IDI trucks will run a long time but they dont like to be patched, I know it is tough to afford parts and all that in this economy but just take time and double check everything and it will help.

And remember it is usually something simple that is overlooked that will cause you the most grief.

Afford parts for these rigs? Try owning a DS4 equipped Suburban.

I'll agree you cannot patch these rigs and have them be reliable. You cannot skimp on parts and expect them to be reliable. Aftermarket parts truely are the make or break point for these trucks. I almost took a sledge to my truck when i knocked the fuel bowl off the duralift pump under my truck. I went through 2 electric pumps only to put a mechanical pump back on. That lovely pos airtex mechanical pump took a crap so i stuck a used mechanical pump off my parts motor. Looks origional, lasted longer than the "new" advance autocrap pump.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for all the props up out of the mud. I knew I could count on you guys.
It only took me all day before I could get back to the truck and get it fixed. Got it all back together and running with new coolant at ~8pm. What happened was apparently the heater core diversion valve cracked during the night and I was screwed from the get go this morning. I didn't notice it until I got back from town but there was a 4 gallon wet spot of coolant that had soaked into the ground where the truck was parked, so it had puked all of its coolant when I sat in the driveway waiting for it to warm up. Hence why I only got 2 miles down the road before it was over on the A and I really didn't notice any smoke, until I pulled over and it started rolling out from under the hood. lol But now that I got it running again, I noticed on the drive home it runs like crap. It bogged down bad 3 times followed by taking off like a rocket, kinda like it was gelling up. But there's really no reason for that so I'm wondering if I melted something down.

About the parts situation, I try to buy the very best. My brown truck has the best of the best, atleast I thought, apparently Felpro makes **** gaskets these days. I wont use anything except for Gates or Napa gold line HD belts and hoses. Blown belt or hose can give you one hell of a walk in some parts around here.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for all the props up out of the mud. I knew I could count on you guys.
It only took me all day before I could get back to the truck and get it fixed. Got it all back together and running with new coolant at ~8pm. What happened was apparently the heater core diversion valve cracked during the night and I was screwed from the get go this morning. I didn't notice it until I got back from town but there was a 4 gallon wet spot of coolant that had soaked into the ground where the truck was parked, so it had puked all of its coolant when I sat in the driveway waiting for it to warm up. Hence why I only got 2 miles down the road before it was over on the A and I really didn't notice any smoke, until I pulled over and it started rolling out from under the hood. lol But now that I got it running again, I noticed on the drive home it runs like crap. It bogged down bad 3 times followed by taking off like a rocket, kinda like it was gelling up. But there's really no reason for that so I'm wondering if I melted something down.

Times like these is when I would want some oil in my truck that wont give up the ghost at 300F like conventional oil does.

It is times like this I prepare for when I fork out cashola for Top Tier Oil Like AMSOIL.
The less damage the sooner I am back on the road.

Hope you just pour coolant back in and drive like normal again as soon as possible!

Javier

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I think if you drive a truck that is 20+ years old as a daily driver you have to expect things to go wrong. Newer trucks are obviously going to be way nicer, technology has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. As towcat pointed out, they can now make your truck run perfectly until 300 miles after the warranty expires :D Our old trucks will run longer and slowly blow up instead.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really must have a horeshoe up my behind, in the 4 years my IDI was my DD, I did nothing but front calipers, a water pump, starter, alternator and heater core, and it was a rusted out hulk that had sat more or less abandoned in the bush before I got it, the resurrection at first involved a new set of injectors and a used IP.... The fan clutch on it doesn't work, hasn't since I got the truck, so, any summer towing got it pretty toasty, hell one day I was hauling snow and forgot I hadn't put the fan back on at about 28 degrees, the thing was at the L most of the day.
Outside of routine oil changes, it's had minimal maintenance, and wouldn't you know the dumb thing is stupid reliable. I've driven it with broken front axles, blown power steering pumps and lines, you name it, I mean minimal maintenance, I wouldn't have bothered fixing the power steering if I hadn't of torn the rag joint apart. Hell, I drove it a week with the water pump blown to the point it wouldn't hold any coolant above the weep hole.
It was a $500 beater when I got it, I threw the worst of my spare parts at it to get it roadworthy, and it was abused as such, and the thing just keeps coming back for more.

I have been absolutely **** with maintenance on my cummins and wouldn't you know it's thanked me with such fun things as transmission failures...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is with the quality of replacement parts, I will probably catch hell for this but , DONT go to azone or oreillys for belts, hoses or pumps. Gates or napa HD fleet is the only way to go,

X 2 Russ. There are places to go cheap and there are places to spend the extra cash. The belts and hoses are the place to spend the extra money and buy quality. Gates belts/hoses are all that I run on my IDI's.

Heath

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hated my truck for the first two years I was driving it- it seemed like every week something was going wrong (and it really had nothing to do with the engine). The PS cooler rusted out and I lost all my PS fluid, a brake line rusted out (ended up replacing the hardlines, flex lines, calipers, AND wheel cylinders), batteries died overnight, the truck threw the belt more than once and overheated one of the times, and the radiator leaks. Geesh.

But, the LAST two years, it's been pretty good to me (knock on wood) and the only thing I've had to ***** about lately is the fuel mileage :dunno

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
X 2 Russ. There are places to go cheap and there are places to spend the extra cash. The belts and hoses are the place to spend the extra money and buy quality. Gates beltshoses are all that I run on my IDI's.

Heath

X3 -

I bought a cheap alternator belt for the '87 and it was lunched in about a week.

Went to napa and got a pricey one, and no more problems.

And, that first belt wasn't cheap considering I ruined a pair of underpants in the process of it letting go and smacking the hood... :sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, that first belt wasn't cheap considering I ruined a pair of underpants in the process of it letting go and smacking the hood... :sly

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Dude, I don't know why, but that made my day..... Had a good laugh for sure.

Man, I wish I could talk you into coming to the Rally. We'd have a ball shooting the bull around the campfire.

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
That's nothing Heath- That time I adjusted the hood latch incorrectly and had 'er fly up on me cost me a pair of Hanes and my brand new Carhartt work pants... Whoever ended up with my '87 got a lot of interesting history to go with it.
:D

I consider making my way out to a rally one of my life achievement goals... It's at the top of my bucket list.
;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nothing Heath- That time I adjusted the hood latch incorrectly and had 'er fly up on me cost me a pair of Hanes and my brand new Carhartt work pants... Whoever ended up with my '87 got a lot of interesting history to go with it.
:D

I consider making my way out to a rally one of my life achievement goals... It's at the top of my bucket list.
;Sweet

Sweet man. I'll look forward to it!;Sweet

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online