I need info

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 7 X 16 tandem axle utility trailer. it has electric brakes on one axle but they are not wired up. Where is a good place to find info on them as this is my first trailer that has had brakes. I am sure the whole brake system will need going through and I am to cheap to pay someone to do it for me. Thanks in advance.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you a trailer brake controller already on the truck?

Are you going to use a 6 pin round (standard utility trailer with brakes), 7 flat pin (RV trailer) or 7 pin round (Semi trailer) connector? If you plan on a winch and backup lights, I would recommend one of the 7 pin connectors. If not, the 6 pin works well.

Here is the information on the connectors. They do not show the semi trailer connect, but it is the same as the 7 pin rv except it uses round pins. http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

As far as the trailer, that is easy. Take the two wires from each brake, connect one to ground. The other wire is tied with the opposite brake and run to the front of the trailer. Also, the standard wiring for 6 and 7 pin has a ground. Run a wire from that pin to the frame on both the truck and trailer, use a star washer between the terminal and frame. If you skip this step, your depending on the hitch to make a good electrical connection.

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
also, jack up the trailer and spin all the wheels.
alot of the older trailers I've bought were never hooked up brake wise.
most times the brakes are dragging pretty bad.

I've also found most people around here never think to grease/pack the bearings on a trailer.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR said:
Do you a trailer brake controller already on the truck?

Are you going to use a 6 pin round (standard utility trailer with brakes), 7 flat pin (RV trailer) or 7 pin round (Semi trailer) connector? If you plan on a winch and backup lights, I would recommend one of the 7 pin connectors. If not, the 6 pin works well.

Here is the information on the connectors. They do not show the semi trailer connect, but it is the same as the 7 pin rv except it uses round pins. http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

As far as the trailer, that is easy. Take the two wires from each brake, connect one to ground. The other wire is tied with the opposite brake and run to the front of the trailer. Also, the standard wiring for 6 and 7 pin has a ground. Run a wire from that pin to the frame on both the truck and trailer, use a star washer between the terminal and frame. If you skip this step, your depending on the hitch to make a good electrical connection.

I do not have a controller yet. any recomended models?
I have a set of 7 pin round connecters some where in my parts collection that I have just need to find them.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Prodigy is the best bang for the buck. The Brake Smart is probably the nicest, but expensive.

As DeepRoots mentioned, check the brakes and hubs. It is worth pulling and checking the bearings for grease, the brakes and the wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online