I need battery help on a Diesel Van

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help with a 1993 E350. I recently got this van and it needed batteries. I thought it would take (2) group 65 batteries, so that is what I bought. The group 65 fits like a glove on the drivers side but there is no way it's going to fit on the passenger side. What size batteries did Ford originally use? A quick answer would be great because I just bought these batteries yesterday and the sooner I get back to the store, the better. If I go back in a week or two, I'm concerned the parts guy is going to tell me tough _ _ _ _, buy another battery. Then I out $125 and got a battery I don't need and is just going to go bad.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped at Autozone (that's not were I bought the batteries) to buy some grease. While there I asked about battery size for the van. The only thing they had listed for the van is group 65. And that's what I'm finding online. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I really appreciate the help. Everything worked out good in the end......PepBoys (were I bought the group 65 battery) does not have a group 50 battery, not just not in the store but can't even get one. So they took the battery back and refunded my money. Tomorrow I'll call the battery wholesaler I usually deal with. He's probably got it. If not, I see online that NAPA has them.

Thanks again.
Dave

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
It was this way on several 87+ vans till ford went to the battery box on the side of the frame rail. I've seen some vans that took 65's on both sides too from 87+. The few vans that i dealt with that were like that i put the 65 box on the side. Holes are already there on the frame. Just made my own power lead.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just go price a diesel grade battery nowdays. lead is going thru the roof.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've never seen the engine bay of a IDI 92+ van, but in the older model, same size on both sides, and there not small...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Indeed, driver's side is the common 65; passenger side is the not-common-at-all 50. Lucky for me, I work near a longtime, one-location battery distributor.

I walked in with my 50 a few months ago; the counter guy said: "Old Ford van, huh?" They keep 'em stocked on their "oddball" shelf.

Hope you can find such a place, Dave 001.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't find a group size 50 I think you can use a group size 27, I seem to remember that being the solution on several of the fleet of diesel box vans I used to work on years ago.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!

But on the subject, 65 fits both side in my '85 E350. But, I did replace the LH battery tray with a plastic one due to the original being rusted out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online