I have a hard decision to make

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well, after all the time and effort I have put into the '94 truck, it may soon be time for us to part ways.

Not because of any fault of the truck. Because of a bad foot... No joke.

Some years ago I fell off a ladder at work and broke two bones in my left foot. They set it on a metal splint and all was good.
It should have been put in a cast, but this was a workers comp. issue and the crackhead occupational clinic I went to didn't want to be liable for me being on disability.

Well lately I've been having terrible pain in that foot, almost constant and unbearable. So, I go to the good doctor and they do x-rays and decide that one of the bones did not heal correctly. So I am going to have to have surgery, possibly a couple surgeries. And since this is the left foot (my clutching foot) I am not supposed to drive my truck for about four months...

I can't be out of work for four months. So I am going to probably have to track down some slushbox vehicle.

I could keep the truck and try to come up with the cash for another car, but that would require me living in pain until I can get one...

What is a fella to do in my situation?

:dunno

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My truck is like a family member. My kids love it, I couldn't imagine having to part ways with it. I would swap trucks with my Mom and drive her automatic for 4 months. Maybe find a $500 beater? Maybe someone here has a car to lend????????:angel: I'd be looking at the next 4 months to fix all the little things that have been put off. Maybe I'm strange for growing attached to a peice of iron with 4 wheels.:rolleyes: Good luck with the procedures that are needed for your foot.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
swap the zf5 for an auto probley cost less than buying another car.

The thought crossed my mind, but I would still be living a life of anguish until I got my hands on a good transmission and then did all the work. Probably would take me as long as if i got me a little commuter car. I thought about driving my van for a while, but my commute is ******* vehicles.. :sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nutless-
i still have that "cute" little tercel for $2k :D
come by for a test drive.
I'll even take the f250 as a trade :D

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is always a way. If you want to keep your truck, you will. My first thought is to buy a beater (you can find mech. decent vehicles for under $1k). Next thought is to make a hand operated clutch lever. You might also talk to your doc and see if he can make the cast so it takes the pressure off your foot, or a brace that does the same.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. But yes, I too would be converting to a hand operated lever. Either that, or I would devise a foot operated pedal that had very little presure to it, that would control electronically, a stepper motor based solution that would use a screw shaft to operate the clutch.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern with a hand operated clutch... Both hands would be off the wheel! Unless you integrate the lever into the shifter? That would actually be kind of awesome.

Best of luck with your foot!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

I like the idea of an electronic clutch... hmm that's got me thinking...

:sly

My wife tends to agree that I should just get a little car to commute in, and keep the truck so that if I get healed up and can drive it again...

I just hope that things get healed up and I can drive a 5spd again... :dunno

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My wife tends to agree that I should just get a little car to commute in, and keep the truck so that if I get healed up and can drive it again...

I just hope that things get healed up and I can drive a 5spd again... :dunno

Sweet!!;Sweet When she UNDERSTANDS the relationship between a man and his truck, you got a good girl.;Sweet

You will get there, talk to RLDSL, his kevlar clutch with super easy pedal is the only thing allowing him to keep driving the hand shaker.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll join the "buy a beater slushbox commuter car" chorus. After all the work you've put into this truck, you'd be crazy to let it go...besides, don't you still need something to haul your trailer? Especially for towing, unless you want to spend a fortune to build a bulletproof E4DOA, you're really better off with a manual...and, hopefully, once you recover from the surgery, you'll be able to push a clutch pedal again.

Besides, why abuse your nice truck going over the 17 when you can beat on the commuter car like a red-headed stepchild? ;Sweet

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually did the 1 foot clutch, brake, throttle thing for a little while (Glutton for punishment cookoo ). Kind of confusing at 1st then wasn't to bad. Wouldn't want to do it on a long commute in traffic though.

4 months might be a bit long.